cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

90D or R10? - Recommendations for sport and lighthouse photography

Norm5353
Contributor

I have compared and contrasted and leaning towards the 90D.  I am very new and worrying about lenses later.  I will be shooting sports shots mostly outdoors at baseball games and will be photographing a lot of lighthouses.  I am not trying to make money taking pics just enjoying the hobby.  Want input if anyone thinks one is WAY better then the other and why?  Thanks for any input I truly appreciate the information.  

8 REPLIES 8

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

What lenses do you currently have. Note not all EF lenses support all features on the EOS R series. But basic compatibility is supported with all lenses such as AF and Aperture control. IS works differently depending on the lens. Then how much stabilization it has. Newer lenses provide more stabilization then older ones. Cameras with IBIS (In Body Image Stabilization) such as the R7, R5, R3, R6, R6 Mark II ECT. Will work in combination with lens IS. The amount of stabilization you get is also dependent on the lens. I highly recommend moving to the RF Mount. The EF Mount is no longer having further development and a lot of lenses have been discontinued. The RF Mount will continue to be developed and produced.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

my current camera is an e2000d so whatever mount that uses.  I know next to nothing about lenses however I have two close friends that own photography businesses that help me with that. 

How far will you be away from the bases. Also what is your budget. Your current camera uses EF & EF-S lenses. In order to use those lenses on an EOS R series camera you'll need an EF-RF mount adapter.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Distances will vary greatly.  1k is budget, would love to go higher but the wife would kill me.

How far away though. This ultimately determines what lens you need. The longer the focal length the higher the price.

-Demetrius

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

If you're just starting out with interchangeable lens cameras, highly recommend the R-series line.  You'll get much better support.  Many DSLRs are either getting close or have already reached the end of being supported.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Go to Ken Rockwell's reviews of both cameras. For every camera he reviews he shoots the same image at a variety of ISO's

Compare the high ISO images (12800+). You can see the difference. While you may not want to shoot at ISO 12800, it is good to know you can push it to get a faster shutter speed.

Rockwell's 90D review 

Rockwell's R10 review 

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Norm5353,

Over and above the question of lenses, I don't know if weight is any consideration to you.

The 90D (including batteries) weighs 701grams (1.5lbs).

The R10 (including batteries) weighs 426 grams (15.03oz)

Steve Thomas

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements