cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80D built in flash will not fire

exfordy
Apprentice

I have a new 80D. The built in flash can be manually raised by pressing the flash button or will raise automatically in, for example, A+ setting. Sometimes it will flash very briefly I assume for focus assist. But when the shutter release is pressed fully ‘BUSY’ and the flash icon appear very briefly in an orange box at the top of the rear screen but the flash does not fire. I have carefully pressed and released the sprung lever in the hot shoe to press the small black disable switch but that hasn’t fixed it. My 550EX Speedlite works perfectly in the hot shoe.
Any ideas why the built in flash won’t fire?

8 REPLIES 8

amfoto1
Authority

I don't have 80D, but various other Canon I've used have had a custom function or menu setting that can be set to prevent the flash from firing, so that the flash only provides AF assistance. I thought that only effected the built-in flash (which I never use)... but found out the hard way that it also effects external flashes. I spent some time swearing at my camera and trying different flashes, before I remembered I'd set that to prevent flash from firing. D'oh! 

However, unless something is different on 80D and that setting only effects built in flash, I doubt that'swhat is causing your situation, though... Since you say an external flash works fine.

When set to "ETTL", Canon flash will do a low powered "pre-flash" that's used to determine a correct exposure for the "real" flash that comes a fraction of a second later. That might be what you are seeing. 

But for some reason the full powered flash isn't firing.

First thing I'd check is that the camera's battery is fully charged up. The flash draws heavily on that and might refuse to fire if it hasn't fully recycled.

Also, maybe try setting the camera back to it's defaults. Perhaps even updating the firmware (or reloading, if already up to date). These might correct a setting that's preventing the flash from firing.

If it still doesn't work, and you really want to be able to use the built in flash, you may need to have the camera looked at (under warranty? you said it was new).

Personally I wouldn't bother. I had a camera that wouldn't pop up the built in flash and never fixed it. I avoid using the built-in flash for a number of reasons. First reason is that it draws heavily on the camera battery, greatly reducing the shots-per-charge. Also, the built-in flash is in the worst possible place for redeye and shadow problems. An external flash that's on a bracket, off to the side and higher up, reduces chance of both of those quite a bit.  Plus the internal flash is pretty weak and slow recycling. Even the smallest accessory flashes are more powerful and recycle a whole lot faster, and have their own power supply, to boot. If Canon made all their cameras without built-in flash, I wouldn't mind.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & ZENFOLIO 

amfoto1, thanks. I updated the firmware. I cleared all camera settings. I charged the battery. It still doesn't work. I am not overly concerned as I seldom used the built in flash on my previous 60D but it is useful for infill light occasionally.

I could get it looked at but here's the rub - I bought it boxed unopened except to photograph it for sale, unused on eBay from someone who had received it as a gift from his employer. I have asked them for a copy of the receipt to enable the warranty.

@amfoto1 wrote:

I don't have 80D, but various other Canon I've used have had a custom function or menu setting that can be set to prevent the flash from firing, so that the flash only provides AF assistance. I thought that only effected the built-in flash (which I never use)... but found out the hard way that it also effects external flashes. I spent some time swearing at my camera and trying different flashes, before I remembered I'd set that to prevent flash from firing. D'oh! 

However, unless something is different on 80D and that setting only effects built in flash, I doubt that'swhat is causing your situation, though... Since you say an external flash works fine.

When set to "ETTL", Canon flash will do a low powered "pre-flash" that's used to determine a correct exposure for the "real" flash that comes a fraction of a second later. That might be what you are seeing. 

But for some reason the full powered flash isn't firing.

First thing I'd check is that the camera's battery is fully charged up. The flash draws heavily on that and might refuse to fire if it hasn't fully recycled.

Also, maybe try setting the camera back to it's defaults. Perhaps even updating the firmware (or reloading, if already up to date). These might correct a setting that's preventing the flash from firing.

If it still doesn't work, and you really want to be able to use the built in flash, you may need to have the camera looked at (under warranty? you said it was new).

Personally I wouldn't bother. I had a camera that wouldn't pop up the built in flash and never fixed it. I avoid using the built-in flash for a number of reasons. First reason is that it draws heavily on the camera battery, greatly reducing the shots-per-charge. Also, the built-in flash is in the worst possible place for redeye and shadow problems. An external flash that's on a bracket, off to the side and higher up, reduces chance of both of those quite a bit.  Plus the internal flash is pretty weak and slow recycling. Even the smallest accessory flashes are more powerful and recycle a whole lot faster, and have their own power supply, to boot. If Canon made all their cameras without built-in flash, I wouldn't mind.

To expand a bit on Alan's point ,,,

Arguably the best general-purpose "walkaround" lens for any Canon APS-C camera is the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8. But it's a big lens, and it casts a very conspicuous shadow in the built-in flash's coverage area on even the largest of those cameras, such as the 7D. Which effectively makes the built-in flash useless with that lens.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Tim
Authority

exfordy, 

I am sorry this occurs.  We recommend sending this in for service at your earliest convenience.  You may fill out an online repair request form at the following link to setup your repair using our online service.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Tim, I bought it boxed, unopened except to photograph it for sale, unused on eBay from someone who had received it as a gift from his employer. I have asked them for a copy of the receipt to enable the warranty. If the receipt is not forthcoming can the warranty be validated from the serial number?

You mention sometimes using the flash for fill-in lighting. Is it possible that the ISO is set high enough and/or the lens aperture is large enough and there's enough ambient light that the camera is detecting a situation where it sees no need to fire the flash?

exfordy, 

When purchasing from another individual on eBay the warranty does not transfer between individuals as your buying what amounts to a used product.  We regret any inconvenience that this may cause you at this time.  We do not have a method to activate the warranty via the serial number, we need a copy of the receipt at the time of service to do that.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
A “BUSY” message appearing with flash icon might mean the flash is recharging itself. The flash probably ran down on charges due being used for AF Assist. Make sure your battery is fully charged if you want to use the flash.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements