cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80D Turns on and Off when Body is Pressed

erol86
Apprentice
Hi everyone,

This seems like an odd one, as I’ve seen no one else come across the same issue.

When I hold my 80D and firmly press my right thumb on the grip (left of the memory card slot), the camera turns on and off. It’s like a wire disconnects and then reconnects when I let go.

Battery and battery area looks all normal. The camera has been treated carefully and never dropped.

Someone please help! Hoping another person has had a similar experience and found a solution.
4 REPLIES 4

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

This is a pretty classic mechanically created electrical intermittent problem, when pressed in this location either a connection that should exist is being broken or a short is occurring.  It likely is a minor problem and could be as simple as a loose connector however the cause of this isn't going to be cured from outside the camera body.  It should go back to Canon for service and include a clear description of the exact issue (and also stick an adhesive dot to where your thumb pressure causes the problem) so that it won't come back with "no problem found" on the service ticket.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

erol86
Apprentice
Thanks a lot Rodger.

I’m trying to sell it in order to upgrade to mirrorless, so I’m heading to a camera repair place today to see if the repair cost will be worth it. I can’t imagine it being too pricey (enough to make the sale not worthwhile), but then again... it’s cameras so... expect the worst!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"This seems like an odd one,..."

If you have any third party accessories, of any kind (battery grip, flash, trigger, etc) anything at all remove it and deposit it in the circle file.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"This seems like an odd one,..."

If you have any third party accessories, of any kind (battery grip, flash, trigger, etc) anything at all remove it and deposit it in the circle file.

We all know that Ernie doesn't like 3rd-party accessories, and he's often right. But a less extreme course of action is to remove the accessory and see if the problem goes away. If it does, then throw the accessory away.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements