cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D mark ii problem: remote shutter release with flash popped up does not work

ivkuzmin
Apprentice

I use photo-trap connected with camera via standard remote release cord. Am using the built-in flash as a trigger for external flashes. The system works perfectly with the original 7D. But with the 7D2 it works very inconsistently when the buit-in flash is popped up: releases only on each ~10th attempt. Time lag between the attempts does not matter: can be either a few seconds or minutes (so this is not the built-in flash charge issue). The problem does not exist when the buit-in flash is down (which is useless in my case, unfortunately). Will appreciate suggestions.

4 REPLIES 4

@ivkuzmin wrote:

I use photo-trap connected with camera via standard remote release cord. Am using the built-in flash as a trigger for external flashes. The system works perfectly with the original 7D. But with the 7D2 it works very inconsistently when the buit-in flash is popped up: releases only on each ~10th attempt. Time lag between the attempts does not matter: can be either a few seconds or minutes (so this is not the built-in flash charge issue). The problem does not exist when the buit-in flash is down (which is useless in my case, unfortunately). Will appreciate suggestions.

You're saying that the camera itself isn't firing, not just the built-in flash, right? So something is interfering with (but not blocking outright) the signal being delivered via the remote release cable. The obvious first step would be to try a different triggering system and/or a different release cable, but that's really just a shot in the dark.

I seem to recall that someone said recently that a remote flash can be used to trigger the shutter on a 7D2 (though I forget exactly how). That's a feature that I'm pretty sure isn't available on the original 7D, so it might conceivably be the source of the interference, which you say doesn't occur on a 7D. (For example, maybe it's causing a "not ready" signal to be sent back to Photo-Trap.) So if there really is such a feature, and there's a way to turn it off, do so and try again. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks. Yes: the camera does not shot when the flash is popped up. Everything is in manual mode obviously (so the flash does not need to do any metering or whatever), and this system works perfectly with the original 7D.

There is no physical connection problems between the cord and camera: just push the flash down, and camera shots perfectly.

The photo-trap is quite simple and does not get any signals from camera (only one-way triggering).

I think that direct cord connection should not interfere with shutter triggering via a remote flash, and if it does, this absolutely is a flaw.

So far, the most straightforward solution for me seems to return the camera to manufacturer (within my 30-day free limit).

@ivkuzmin wrote:

Thanks. Yes: the camera does not shot when the flash is popped up. Everything is in manual mode obviously (so the flash does not need to do any metering or whatever), and this system works perfectly with the original 7D.

There is no physical connection problems between the cord and camera: just push the flash down, and camera shots perfectly.

The photo-trap is quite simple and does not get any signals from camera (only one-way triggering).

I think that direct cord connection should not interfere with shutter triggering via a remote flash, and if it does, this absolutely is a flaw.

So far, the most straightforward solution for me seems to return the camera to manufacturer (within my 30-day free limit).

If that qualifies as a solution. An alternative would be to use a radio signal or external speedlight to trigger your off-camera flash.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks, yes, that's what I used with 5D3 (but unfortunately I do not own this system). So, rather than additional spending on radio-triggers (and compatible flashes; I own the infra-red 580EXII only), I'd rather save and return the 7D2 🙂

Announcements