cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D Mark II issues

MixKat
Apprentice

Anyone else having multiple problems with the 7D Mark II?

I had a T1i for years with no problems and replaced it with a 7D Mark II barely over a year ago. Since then I have had to send it in for two repairs and will have to soon send it in for a third. (Logic board, sensor cleaning and now on-camera flash.)

I really feel like I've bought a lemon and don't know what to do since I've invested thousands in camera equipment. Should I buy another Canon (I'm thinking about a full-frame)? Should I sell everything and get a Nikon? For the most part Canon Customer Service has been good. (Although the first time the rep told me I should buy a back-up camera. Really? I didn't need one when I had a "measley" T1i, why should I need one with a MUCH more expensive camera?)

When my camera was last in for repairs I rented a 5DS and really like it. The body is almost exactly the same as my 7D MkII. Pleased with the image quality and resolution. (But now I'm gun-shy.) Am I the only lucky one who has had three repairs?

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

"Should I sell everything and get a Nikon?" 

Hopefully, your luck with the 7D Mark II will improve.  Canon service really tries hard to provide good service.  Sometimes, all it takes is for the right set of eyeballs to look at the problem, like having a second or third opinion.

As far as Brand "N" versus Brand "C" goes, I looked at that choice 2-3 years ago.  I wanted to get back into photography, after having given it up 20 years earlier because of the cost of film and processing versus the drugstore disposable cameras.

I noticed a big difference in the lenses being offered by each company.  One, "C", company sold auto-focusing, and exposure setting lenses, almost excluseively.  The other company, "N", sold mainly manual focusing lenses, especially at the mid-range part of the product lineup.  I went for the auto-focusing lens company.

Hopefuly, your luck with the 7D Mark II will improve.  I'm sure it will.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

In our familly we have the 7D Mk II, 6D, M, 7D, 50D, used XTi, used 40D, refurbished XTi. And have never had to send any of them in for repairs.

I did have issues with a Canon ZR camcorder which had a defective Sony image sensor in it. Canon had extended the warrenty on it, and paid shipping both ways. The repair was fast and painless, and no I experienced no further issues.  

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Anyone else having multiple problems with the 7D Mark II?"

What exactly are the problems?  Are you certain they are camera related?  And, sorry but, not user related?

Of course it makes no difference in this case, to you, but I bought my first pro level Canon in the early '80's.  I have never had a mechanical failure, ever.  I used my gear day in and day out for 40 years.  Almost still do!  I do have regular C&C done about once a year or so.

Unlike the rest of the "regulars" here on the Canon Forum, I own and use Nikon, too.  The company I worked for (40 years) was 100% Nikon.  Yet I still bought and owned Canon equipment.  I still maintain a pretty good inventory of Nikon gear right now.

Should you switch?  That is totally up to you.  This is largely a Ford vs Chevy situation.  Both vehicles are actually very good in their own right.  Both Canon and Nikon are very good, there is no doubt.

Now, IMHO, Canon is the best buy.  Mostly because Canon  has the lens line-up that no one else has.  It is the envy of the industry.  The cameras always seem to top one another.  As a new model comes out, it has the best specs and is the best camera.  Then the other company comes out with a better model and on and on.  But the lens line-up, Canon always wins. Time and time again.

Now the most important point of why Canon is better.  Canon's customer service.  It is second to none.  Be very glad you are not that Nikon owner and needing the service you seem to need on your 7D Mk II.  Be very thankful !

The choice is yours.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I've used a Canon for years and never had any problems or need for service, either. Until this 7D Mark II. I appreciate your candor, but it's not user related. I'm not a noob and have been shooting for over 30 years. I don't have a lot of money to spend on equipment, so I am careful to take care of what I have.

My issues (in a little more detail since I glossed-over them in my original post):

- 4 months after purchase it refused to turn on during a shoot. Sent it in and if I recall correctly they had to replace the logic board.

- 8 months after purchase the sensor cleaning failed. Sent it in again. 

- Never use the built-in flash (I typically have it connected to lights in my studio or use an on-camera flash). Put it in full-auto mode for something and the flash wouldn't pop up. Sending it back.

I don't shoot in extreme conditions. Roughly 75 percent of the time I'm shooting in the studio.

I'm **bleep** about my stuff. I'm regretting selling my trusty T1i because now I don't have a backup camera. (First Canon Customer Service Agent told me that I NEED a backup camera and that she even bought one. I haven't needed a backup camera before, why do I need one now?!) How did I get so lucky as to get a #lemon? I have had to rent a camera while mine was in for service, and will be without it again. I'm just disappointed that such a large investment (large to me) has been so unreliable. When you purchase a new car you expect to change the oil and buy new tires. You don't expect it to stop in the middle of the road after only 3,000 miles. 

I needed to vent and I appreciate your unbiased comments regarding both brands. I've worked with local and international photographers who are staunch advocates for one brand or the other, so it's good to have another perspective. Thank you.

@MixKat wrote:

I've used a Canon for years and never had any problems or need for service, either. Until this 7D Mark II. I appreciate your candor, but it's not user related. I'm not a noob and have been shooting for over 30 years. I don't have a lot of money to spend on equipment, so I am careful to take care of what I have.

My issues (in a little more detail since I glossed-over them in my original post):

- 4 months after purchase it refused to turn on during a shoot. Sent it in and if I recall correctly they had to replace the logic board.

- 8 months after purchase the sensor cleaning failed. Sent it in again. 

- Never use the built-in flash (I typically have it connected to lights in my studio or use an on-camera flash). Put it in full-auto mode for something and the flash wouldn't pop up. Sending it back.

I don't shoot in extreme conditions. Roughly 75 percent of the time I'm shooting in the studio.

I'm **bleep** about my stuff. I'm regretting selling my trusty T1i because now I don't have a backup camera. (First Canon Customer Service Agent told me that I NEED a backup camera and that she even bought one. I haven't needed a backup camera before, why do I need one now?!) How did I get so lucky as to get a #lemon? I have had to rent a camera while mine was in for service, and will be without it again. I'm just disappointed that such a large investment (large to me) has been so unreliable. When you purchase a new car you expect to change the oil and buy new tires. You don't expect it to stop in the middle of the road after only 3,000 miles. 

I needed to vent and I appreciate your unbiased comments regarding both brands. I've worked with local and international photographers who are staunch advocates for one brand or the other, so it's good to have another perspective. Thank you.

I hope your experience is atypical, because I recently bought my wife a 7D2.

Frankly, though, I have to side with the Canon Service Agent in this case. I'm only a semi-professional; photography is a small part of my job. But it would never cross my mind to go into a critical photo shoot without a backup camera.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"I needed to vent ..."

Vent away!  We have broad shoulders and will listen because most of us have been there.  It is no fun when an expensive gadget doesn't perform.  At this point all you can do is send it in.  And keep sending it in until it is right.

"... told me that I NEED a backup camera ..."

Yeah I hear ya.  But I am going to tell you the same thing.  Robert has already advised it.  You really do need backups. Anything made by the hand of Man can and will eventually fail.

I have taken as many as seven cameras to weddings!  I never go with less than three. The funny part of that statement, I never had a camera fail.  But there were backups just in case.  I have had memory cards fail.  Flash's fail and batteries fail.  Tripods and on and on.

Keep on Canon.  They will get it right and go get a backup like a Rebel.

"... who are staunch advocates for one brand or the other ..."

Yes, I know. But I try to speak the truth about each one as I have learned form actual experience with each one.  I try not to advise folks on stuff I have not personally used.  Maybe the forum Moderators don't like that. They haven't kicked me off.....yet! Tell it like it is.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"... told me that I NEED a backup camera ..."

Yeah I hear ya.  But I am going to tell you the same thing.  Robert has already advised it.  You really do need backups. Anything made by the hand of Man can and will eventually fail.

I have taken as many as seven cameras to weddings!  I never go with less than three. The funny part of that statement, I never had a camera fail.  But there were backups just in case.  I have had memory cards fail.  Flash's fail and batteries fail.  Tripods and on and on.

Keep on Canon.  They will get it right and go get a backup like a Rebel.

Exactly your backup camera doesn't need to be another 7D Mk II. There are a number of options inexpensive options. Any of the XXDs from the 40D on would be a suitable backup. Any of the newer Rebels would work too. 

Announcements