cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70D SD card error problem?

doraemons
Apprentice

So, I have a 70D Camera, recently got a new Samsung SD card during boxing day, the SD card was working find for a while, but recently when I put it in the camera, it just doesn't read and show card error. When I take it out, and put it back in for like 10-15 times, the camera studdenly is able to read the SD card. I've tried using the SD card with another Canon camera, it has the same problem. I would assume it's becasue of the SD card. However, when I put the SD card to the computer, it's working fine every signle time. 

I've tried other SD cards with the camera as well, the camera reads it no problem. 

Does anyone have similar problem and know what's going on?

Thank you very much

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I do not use Samsung.  I use Sandisk, or Lexar when I cannot get Sandisk Extreme Pro.

Back to your problem.  As long you have a card with the correct class and storage size, as long as it is full sized and formatted in the camera prior to first use, then you should be good to go.

BTW, switching memory cards between different camera models is usually not good for the data on the card.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"...switching memory cards between different camera models is usually not good for the data on the card."

I have not noticed this to be a problem.  I usually have my CF/SD caddy and use whatever card I pick up with out issue. I don't think I would mix camera brands, though.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"...switching memory cards between different camera models is usually not good for the data on the card."

I have not noticed this to be a problem.  I usually have my CF/SD caddy and use whatever card I pick up with out issue. I don't think I would mix camera brands, though.

Do not assume both cameras are DSLRs.  People will mis DSLR memory cards with those from a Point & Shoot.

Do not assume that it works with any two DSLRs.   People post here all the time with issues doing exactly that.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"People post here all the time with issues doing exactly that."

I have not seen that. I only comment and post on my own experience not what somebody else may have done. Especially when you don't know exactly what or how they do it. The big reason I rarely read and do not put much faith in photography gear reviews. But you do as you feel is best for you.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I would trash that SD card.  It is possible it is a counterfeit. Sometimes they work sometimes they don't.   Where did you buy it.  Amazon is not a good place to buy from.

Sometimes a Windows computer will read an SD card that the camera has issues with.

EB

Peter
Authority
Authority
Overwrite the card 1 time in computer with SD Memory Card Formatter from SD Association. If it doesn't work with your cameras after that, use another card instead.

"Overwrite the card 1 time in computer ..."

IMHO, SD cards are too cheap to risk it. Even if that made this card readable I would never trust it again. My photographs are too valuable, too difficult to impossible to replace, to risk a shaky SD card.

EB

Listen to Ernie on this one.  There are plenty of things that can go wrong with storing and retrieving images and the last thing you want to do is knowingly increase the risk of something going wrong.  Using a card that has shown itself to be problematic is greatly shifting that probability curve.

If the card is still within the return period or warranty, do so.  If it is a warranty return to a manufacturer then you may find out at that point that it is a counterfeit.  One of my former students interned with SanDisk several years ago and a very large percentage of the cards returned as defective over warranty didn't start life in a SanDisk manufacturing facility.  B&H, Adorama, and buying in store at better known national chains are safe but online only retailers and ebay net you a very good chance of getting a counterfeit. 

If you are stuck with that SD card, use it to store music or in some other non-critical application.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Overwrite the card 1 time in computer ..."

IMHO, SD cards are too cheap to risk it. Even if that made this card readable I would never trust it again. My photographs are too valuable, too difficult to impossible to replace, to risk a shaky SD card.

Agree totally. As Ernie and Rodger say you've likely got thousands of dollars invested in creating the memory you captured. Why risk it to save a few dollars. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements