cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

700D size but better specs

jinha
Apprentice

Hey there. I used to have a 70D that is in need of fixing (broken shutter, 75k count). I however started using my spare 700D as my main camera and it has been quite alright for the past 2 years. It's a smaller body, lower weight, makes me happier to shoot and lets me have it on me more.

However there are a few things that I miss - especially the AF adjustment, sometimes a faster continues shooting would be nice.

Also I wish it was less noisy in the higher ISO values. I have been looking into the 90D (the higher MPx count is intriguing, even though a bit excessive). But thinking about it I feel like a better 700D would serve me well.

I don't want to get a mirrorless body. I'm sorry.

3 REPLIES 3

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

A 700D is a Rebel T5i.  If you really want to avoid mirrorless, then I see two upgrade options:

One would be the Rebel T8i.  That, along with an EF-S 18-135mm lens would be around $1,350

What lenses do you already have?  It's possible to just get the base body for the above two cameras, so that would be less than the prices shown above.

The other would be the EOS 90D.  ALong with an EF-S 18-135mm lens, that would be around $1,600

The EOS 90D would definitely be more capable, and for the price difference, I'd say definitely worth it.  The 90D would weigh just under half a pound more than the the Rebel T8i.  It would also be slightly wider (third of an inch), but around the same height and depth. 

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Since budget was not mentioned, the SL3 is great for smaller hands.  However, the T8i is a much better camera for $200 more.  Its AF is far superior.  Otherwise, go 90D as Ricky suggests.  The T5i and 90D are in 2 very different leagues.  It will be a huge leap in all areas and will allow you to continue using your EF-S lenses.  (T5i > 90D)  Its performance will blow you away, the same way I was floored when I moved to MILC.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Jinha and welcome to the forum:

No need to be sorry about not wanting mirrorless.  I support the advice given by both of my respected colleagues that an upgrade to the XXD bodies is the way to go if you can afford it.   I have both the 80D and 90D and to be honest, as you mention "the higher MPx count is intriguing, even though a bit excessive", I will mention that I personally prefer the 80D because the 24MP sensor seems to sit at a sensor capacity sweet spot, while I find the 90D's 32MP sensor more prone to noise.  Much depends on what you are going to produce, but 24MP is tons for Small to medium prints (say, up to 11"x19:),  showing on the digital devices and for posting on social media your images will be downsized even from there.

I would definitely agree that the EF-S 18-135 (either )STM or USM lenses are the way to go.  They are great lenses, fast and silent focus and brilliant value for money.

If you keep an eye on Canon's Refurbished Camera site, you can likely pick up one of the 80D or 90D  units that is going to be like new, with a Canon warranty, at a good price. At this link 

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements