cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6Dmk1 vs 80D? Upgrading from a T5i.

tomhillmeyer
Contributor

Hello!

 

I've been going back and forth the past few days between getting a 6D(mk I) or an 80D and I'd love some help. I can get either and glass for about the same price I've found and now I can't decide.

 

The biggest thing I'm debating is full frame. The 6D is so tempting with full frame, but I feel that buying a 6D would just make me want the 5DmkIII (or IV) even more, especially if the AF is as bad as I've heard. If I go with an 80D, I can have a lot of great features, most of which the 6D lacks (better AF, more MP, 60fps at 1080p, etc.). From reading reviews, it seems that the 6D just isn't worth it and a lot of people just jump to the 5D line. Would a 6D vs 80D be like a subpar FF camera vs. a really good crop sensor camera?

 

A little about me, I'm a portrait/still-life/landscape photographer and videographer. I've been using the T5i for about 4 years now (laugh all you want, I know it's a Rebel and I need an upgrade). Not doing anything crazy nor am I a snob for cameras, but I'd like to get some informed opinions (thus the post).

 

In conclusion, in your opinion would the full frame capability of the 6D outweigh the features/capabilites of the 80D even though it's a crop sensor? I will eventually go for a 5D probably around the Mk V or VI in the coming years and hop into 4K/full frame, and I think the 80D will give me some time to collect some good FF glass to make the jump.

 

Again, they're around the same price (from my sources), so it's really down to full frame vs features like quicker AF and smaller size and more MP and whatnot. I also recognize the 80D is a newer model than the 6Dmk1, so that's also makes me lean towards it.

 

Let me know what you think! Thank you so much!

45 REPLIES 45

"Buy a FF body, but invest heavily in lenses that you cannot use with it."

 

Pay attention,  s-l-o-w-l-y, he can still use the ef-s lenses on his 80D.  Nothing changed that.  It is all good.  It is possible to take complete advantage of both formats EVEN at the same time.  You can own both !  Lot's of folks do.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!


@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Buy a FF body, but invest heavily in lenses that you cannot use with it."

 

Pay attention,  s-l-o-w-l-y, he can still use the ef-s lenses on his 80D.  Nothing changed that.  It is all good.  It is possible to take complete advantage of both formats EVEN at the same time.  You can own both !  Lot's of folks do.


LOL.  

In another post you recently made, you argued the same point that I was making now.  You pointed out that if you have both formats, then you should only invest in EF lenses, not EF-S lense, because you will only wind up buying them twice: an EF version and an EF-S version.

If you have both formats, the only EF-S format lens that makes sense to buy would be an ultra-wide, like a 10-18mm or 10-22mm.  Something in those ranges.  Investing heavily in [EF-S] zooms with longer focal lengths is simply bad advice.  Get over it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."


@Waddizzle wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Buy a FF body, but invest heavily in lenses that you cannot use with it."

 

Pay attention,  s-l-o-w-l-y, he can still use the ef-s lenses on his 80D.  Nothing changed that.  It is all good.  It is possible to take complete advantage of both formats EVEN at the same time.  You can own both !  Lot's of folks do.


LOL.  

In another post you recently made, you argued the same point that I was making now.  You pointed out that if you have both formats, then you should only invest in EF lenses, not EF-S lense, because you will only wind up buying them twice: an EF version and an EF-S version.

If you have both formats, the only EF-S format lens that makes sense to buy would be an ultra-wide, like a 10-18mm or 10-22mm.  Something in those ranges.  Investing heavily in zooms with longer focal lengths is simply bad advice.  Get over it.


In the assumed scenario, I don't know that even the ultra-wide makes sense, since a less wide lens on the FF body will produce the same result, probably with less distortion.

 

One thing that does make sense, if you're stuck with both formats for historical reasons: a good 17-55 for the crop camera, for events where you want to use a longer or wider lens on the FF body.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA


@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:
.

In the assumed scenario, I don't know that even the ultra-wide makes sense, since a less wide lens on the FF body will produce the same result, probably with less distortion.

 

One thing that does make sense, if you're stuck with both formats for historical reasons: a good 17-55 for the crop camera, for events where you want to use a longer or wider lens on the FF body.


Didn't say it was a prerequisite.  It's the only EF-S mount that makes sense to buy.  There are FF mount lenses that cover the 17-55mm range, either in part or in whole.  The Canon FF mount in 10-18mm range is a fisheye.  The EF-S mount designs give you a rectilinear image that is a FF equivalent of 16-35mm or so.  

 

But, it is not a MUST BUY.  It is the only EF-S mount purchase that makes sense to me.  A FF mount can cover everything else, and can be used on either camera body.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"...are you arguing that it is okay to a heavy investment in "EF-S" mount lenses,..."

 

OK it surely is, if that is what you want.

 

" I used crop and FF together for many years"

 

I think you must need more sleep.  I used the ef-s lenses on the Rebels and ef on the FF.  Now that wasn't really that hard to understand was it?  Purchasing an 80D now with the Siggy has little to do with future goals of obtaining a FF.  The 80D and the Sigma will still do their job as always. "They will still be viable on his 80D."

 

Get some more coffee!  Smiley Wink

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!


@ebiggs1 wrote:

"...are you arguing that it is okay to a heavy investment in "EF-S" mount lenses,..."

 

OK it surely is, if that is what you want.

 

" I used crop and FF together for many years"

 

I think you must need more sleep.  I used the ef-s lenses on the Rebels and ef on the FF.  Now that wasn't really that hard to understand was it?  Purchasing an 80D now with the Siggy has little to do with future goals of obtaining a FF.  The 80D and the Sigma will still do their job as always. "They will still be viable on his 80D."

 

Get some more coffee!  Smiley Wink


One, the OP doesn't know what they want, or how to decide.  That's the reason for this thread.

Two, you're moving the goal posts.  You promoted the idea of buying a Sigma DC lens, not a 150-600, in the post I replied to.

Three, no one cares what you have used, because it is irrelevant to the original question.  The OP is looking for advice on going FF now, or sticking with an APS-C body and going with a better FF in the future.

My advice was to consider what types of lenses to begin investing in.  My suggestion was to make a choice, and to choose only buying FF mount lenses, because they can work on either type of body.  Your advice was to invest heavily in a "DC" lens, simply because you liked it, despite the fact that it was a "bad fit" for the OP.  Excuse me, for point this out.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

This is the suggestion I made in case you forgot.

"...consider this 'kit', the EOS 80D and the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon.  It'll blow the doors off anything close to the price point."

 

I am sure the OP has long lost interest in the dribble you have tried to insert.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!


@Waddizzle wrote:

@tomhillmeyer wrote:
I will keep it in mind, thank you! I was eyeing the Canon 16-35 2.8L, but the Sigma looks much more appealing (especially at that price!)

Any idea how they would compare? Just glancing at the Sigma right now they seem to be similar lenses, and that f/1.8 is very intriguing to me.

Haha trust me I know how important good glass is 😉

If you are entertaining thoughts of going FF in the future, then now would be a good time to decide if you want to spend big bucks on EF-S mount lenses, or EF mount lenses.  In most cases, the EF mount lenses generally have a better build than their EF-S counterparts.

Me?  I stopped buying EF-S mount lenses, because I wanted to upgrade to a FF.  I liked the DOF and FOV from a FF body.


You're wrong again, Ernie. 

There is my initial post on the subject of lens choices.  The OP was responding to your suggestion of the Sigma 18-35mm DC lens, instead of the Canon 16-35mm lenses.  Bad advice.

BTW, for similar reasons the Sigma 18-135mm DC is bad advice, too, for someone looking to go FF in the future.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"You're wrong again, Ernie."

 

Of course I am...not !  Let's have another go at this.  I'll go even s-l-o-w-e-r so it does sink in more easily.  I am probably the longest continuously active member currently here.  Robert is close, too.  The posts made years ago or even a year ago are effected by a thing called change.  Also, innovation plays a roll.  Might have been valid statements at the time but now we have evolved.  If you can't adapt and change you are gonna wind up like.....well like you.

 

The Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon did not exist and neither did the 80D.  Wether any one desires to eventually got to a FF format or not, the 80D and the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon are still going to provide excellent photos.  It needs no further conditions.  There is an end to it.  If you never buy another lens, or camera for that matter, it is still going to be a top notch camera.  And, he is going to be using it TODAY.  Not some arbitrary time in the future that might happen or it might not.

 

I suppose in you were not fully awake when I posted this?  So, I will quote it again for you.

"But if I had to choose between the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon and the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Lens I probably would go for the Canon."

 

Besides, my friend, these are suggestions and opinions. Even yours, I know it hurts.  They are not hard cold facts.  It may be your choice to not buy ef-s lenses anymore and that is fine.  However, it does not mean it is the right way and only way to accomplish the goal for everybody.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!

"You're wrong again, Ernie."

I was referring to posts you made within the past week, not a year ago.  So, let's not "have a another go at this."  Good day!

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements

2/07/2023: New product announcements!

EOS R8 EOS R50RF-S55-210mm F5-7.1 IS STMRF24-50mm F4.5-6.3 IS STMRF15-30mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM
01/18/2023: New firmware version 1.1.1 is available for EOS R6 Mark II
01/09/2023: Help ensure your autofocus is properly aligned with a Canon Precision Alignment
01/03/2023: Welcome to CES 2023!
12/08/2022: New firmware version 1.0.5.1 is available for EOS C70
12/07/2022: New firmware version 1.7.0 is available for EOS R5
12/07/2022: New firmware version 1.7.0 is available for EOS R6
11/22/2022: New firmware available for EOS R3, EOS R7 and EOS R10
11/16/2022: We're thrilled to be ranked among the Best Employers for Veterans in 2022 by Forbes.
08/31/2022: New firmware version 1.1.1 is available for RF 70-200mm L IS USM
08/09/2022: New firmware version 1.2.0 is available for CR-N 300
08/09/2022: New firmware version 1.2.0 is available for CR-N 500
07/14/2022: New firmware version 1.0.1 is available for CR-X300
06/10/2022: Service Notice:UPDATE: Canon Inkjet Printer continuous reboot loop or powering down
06/07/2022: New firmware version 1.3.2 is available for PowerShot G7 X Mark III
05/31/2022: Did someone SAY Badges?
05/26/2022: New firmware version 1.0.5.1 is available for EOS-C500 Mark II
05/26/2022: New firmware version 1.0.3.1 is available for EOS-C300 Mark III
05/10/2022: Keep your Canon gear in optimal condition with a Canon Maintenance Service
05/05/2022: We are excited to announce that we have refreshed the ranking scale within the community!
04/26/2022: New firmware version 1.0.1.1 is available for EOS R5 C
03/23/2022: New firmware version 1.0.3.1 is available for EOS-C70
02/09/2022: Share Your Photos is back!
02/07/2022: New firmware version 1.6.1 is available for EOS-1DX Mark III
01/19/2022: READY FOR ANYTHING EOS-R5 C
01/13/2022: Community Update. We will be retiring the legacy profile avatars on 01/20/2022. Click this link to read more.