cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D gave me really blurry photos?

Sophós
New Contributor

Hello everyone.

I'm posting here hoping to find someone who can help me.

I recently got a 6D mark 2 to shoot my videos and it was all fine. Last night I was asked to take some photos during a meeting but I immediatly saw the lack of quality in all of them. I can't explain this absence of details even in the darkest enviroment or with the slowest shutter...

IMG_7790b.jpg

118 REPLIES 118

AndreaW
Frequent Contributor

I went back into my camera and found the "cropping" mode, however, my camera was not on that setting.  But thank you for the thought because you have caused me to look deeper into the camera's setting to see if the camera is on a setting I am not aware of that may differ from the 6D model that is causing this effect in my photos that are taken in low-lit environments.

TTMartin
Respected Contributor

@bethybarra wrote:

I know it's been about a year at this point, did you ever figure out the issue? I am having the exact same problem and it is extremely frustrating and the people responding on here sound a little rude and condescending when they genuinely do not seem to understand the issue. Like you said, I did not have this problem on my other camera it has absolutely nothing to do with skill. It almost looks like the camera is trying to smooth out the photo itself and it completely takes away any quality in the photo. I really really want to like this camera but that issue is making it so hard for me to and I haven't seen a single helpful comment, it's just people being insulting. I don't want to sound ungrateful, I get that people are just trying to help but I genuinely believe this has nothing to do with the way the photos are being taken. The fact that we are only having this problem on this camera specifically should tell people it is not the photographer. If anyone at all has figured it out please help!

Were your other cameras full frame cameras?

On a sunny day, use AV mode set your camera to f/16 go outside and take a photo. When you do that are you still having an issue?

kvbarkley
Honored Contributor

It is possibly a rolling shutter issue.

AndreaW
Frequent Contributor

This is helpful; thank you.

I don't want to say you don't have a problem, just not sure I understand what it is.  It would help with a well lit photo because if that is ok, then the problem may be with sometning at low light, slow shutter, ...  Just saying it would help with analysis.

TTMartin
Respected Contributor

@AndreaW wrote:

That's lovely, really it is.  But that is not the issue I am having.  I know the importance of lighting and I know I shot in a low lit environment and I know all about "motion blur", "noise", etc. 

The blurry items in the snake photo have nothing to do with 'motion blur' or 'noise'. The blurry things in the snake photo are completely Depth of Field related.

diverhank
Respected Contributor

@TTMartin wrote:

@AndreaW wrote:

That's lovely, really it is.  But that is not the issue I am having.  I know the importance of lighting and I know I shot in a low lit environment and I know all about "motion blur", "noise", etc. 

The blurry items in the snake photo have nothing to do with 'motion blur' or 'noise'. The blurry things in the snake photo are completely Depth of Field related.

From what I can tell from the snake picture, if the focus point was on the snake's head,  the camera front focuses.  The twig in front is a lot clearer and appears to be in focus.  The whole picture is kinda blurry though (not enough contrast).  You might want to check the focus and either send the camera in or do an AFMA adjustment.

Having said that, like TTMartin said, it's mostly depth of field...also you must open your mind to others' comments.  You gave very little description, turn off your exif data on your picture.  Your vague description pointed to user's techniques.  We are guessing blind here so don't get mad at us.  Even if our offered guesses indeed do not address your problem, they will help in eliminating possibilities, thus isolate the real cause.  If the problem happened to one of the people here like myself or TTMartin, we would have found it ourselves already or at least can articulate it.  

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

TTMartin
Respected Contributor

@diverhank wrote:

From what I can tell from the snake picture, if the focus point was on the snake's head,  the camera front focuses.  The twig in front is a lot clearer and appears to be in focus.  The whole picture is kinda blurry though (not enough contrast).  You might want to check the focus and either send the camera in or do an AFMA adjustment.

The snake photo was mine. The focus might have been slightly forward of the snakes head. The point I was making was that the leaves were out of focus because they were in front of the range of acceptable focus. I think the posters weren't realizing Deoth of Field impacts things both in front of and behind the plane of focus.

I don't know if anyone noticed but the original poster "Sophós" only posted on the first page and then only twice.  This is a very interesting set of posts, but are we really solving the problem.  Are more than a single person having the problem?  Focus and DOF are very interesting and complex subject and obviously somewhat controversial.  BTW nice to see a number of great photos in the posts.

TTMartin
Respected Contributor

@TTMartin wrote:
Depth of field will impact the sharpness both in front of and behind the plane of focus. 

This video should help you understand Depth of Field

Digital Photography 1 on 1: Episode 12 Depth of Field