cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

60D settings issue

NisiGirl
Apprentice

Greetings,

I have a Canon 60D that is approximately 8 years old.  Recently, I've noticed that my camera settings seem to be changing, or reverting on their own.  I shoot in manual mode.  What I'm seeing is that after changing the settings to, for example, ISO 3200, high-speed shooting mode, it will revert if I let it go idle for a bit.  This happened yesterday while shooting birds.  I set the settings, shot a few images, and then waited for a bit waiting for the birds to come back by.  When I went to shoot again, the iso had reverted back to 200 from 3200 and the shooting mode had returned to single-shot from high-speed shooting.  This happened last weekend, as well - also affecting ISO and shooting mode (timer).  At the time, I thought I had inadvertently changed the settings, but when it happened yesterday where I was just sitting there doing nothing.  Last weekend was the first time I noticed this happening, and I shoot on a regular basis.  Has anyone else experienced these little issues?  Any suggestions on how to fix it?

2 REPLIES 2

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

The only thing I can recommend is to reset the camera and see if the problem goes away.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Hi Nisigirl! {:-)

I have three EOS 60D units and still enjoy using them - they are a bit of a classic IMHO.  My units were bought 10 years ago, so apparently older than yours.

How old are your batteries?   If batteries are reaching the end of their lives they may drop voltage, and thus not keep settings constant.  If you have not done so, I suggest checking the battery health (ref p268 of the manual), initially using the battey settings feature of the camera, but also (if you can) checking the output using a volt meter.  If you have access to someone with fairly new batteries perhaps they will let you try theirs in your camera to see if the symptom persists.  A camera store may be able to help you with that one. 

If the batteries are old, or third party, it may well be the issue.  If you have doubts, I suggest investing in a new genuine Canon battery.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements