cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D mark IV focal points not displaying when taking picture

itakemoorepics
Contributor

have been looking in the manual, looked online, even when i'm at the menu where you are supposed to turn it on, it won't let me. I select it where it says "off" but no option to turn it on. Please help!

22 REPLIES 22

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

What mode are you shooting in (M, Av, TV, P & Full Auto). By default the AF points are not displayed in the viewfinder. In (M, Av, TV & P) modes the users can constantly display the AF Points. Wether active points are shown or all of them are displayed constantly. Note that the 5D Mark IV has a firmware update available version 1.4.0 is the up to date firmware.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

shooting in Manual mode, just got my camera back from Canon where it was "refurbished" if you will. I feel like i did something, but idk what... it did have it there and now it doesn't. it is all up to date. I will take it into the camera store tomorrow, but frustrated that what should be the solution, isn't working.

Check the shooting menu. There is a selection for AF Point display.

Screenshot_20230529-182320.png

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

that's exactly where i was looking... but the "disable display" will not let me turn "on"

Take a picture of the choices the camera gives you in the forum. I have mine personally set to display all the time (Constant) option #2.

Screenshot_20230529-183236.png

-Demetrius

ok, so i went back to that very menu, had it all set like that, clicked on those options again, and now it's back... idk if there's a glitch?? agghh.... thank you for your help! seriously wonder if there's a glitch!

What firmware version are you on. Since you said that the camera was in for repair. Canon should've upgraded it to firmware version 1.4.0 already. Or is it still on 1.3.3 or 1.3.4 which are older firmware versions.

-Demetrius

just checked the firmware, it is 1.4.0

thanks for all your help! Much appreciated.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Arbitrarily advising someone to update FW is not good advice. Its great that Canon did it for you but FW upgrades only need to be done if you are experiencing a problem and the new FW fixes it. It it doesn't the FW will not make any difference. 

FW 1.4.0 added enhanced security for transferring captured images to image.canon. That's all, so if you didn't use that feature FW 1.4.0 did nothing to your 5D Mk IV.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements