cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D duplicating images

angeladeagan
Contributor

Hello Canon users.   When I transfer images to my Mac it imports two of the same image.   If I take one of the cards out of the camera first it is ok.   So I must be storage the image on both cards,  just don't know how to correct this on my camera?   Any ideas? 

Cheers 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I don't have a 5D owner's manual but the setup is similar for most of the current Canon cameras.  Under the menu setting for record function (under the "wrench/tool" icon for most current bodies), you will have several choices of whether you want to save images to one or both cards simultaneously and what format is used for each (RAW on both cards, RAW on one, JPG on the other, etc.) 

I may be living dangerously but I have never bothered with recording to both cards.  I primarily shoot sports but if I was a wedding photographer I would use that dual record option.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

MY ISSUE IS RESOLVED.

The duplication occurred only when I had cards in both slots, even though I was only writing to one card. I DID A MARK IV firmware update and it resolved the duplication when connecting USB to import, even if I have both cards in slots and only using one.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

@angeladeagan wrote:

I haven't resolved my issue yet.   When I am downloading photos to my computer I take out the either the SD or Compact Flash.    I'll let you know if I have any success.

Cheers

First, I know nothing about Mac OS. However, I just did a quick GOOGLE and found a web site called OS X DAILY that describes this problem and its resolution. Something to do with "Photo apps" and a tic box to turn off duplicates. [edited] I might have missed something in your OP, so I don't know exactly how you are transfering, i.e., using this app (or others) or just looking at your card, which is the way most of us do it in Windows. Some use the EOS Utility and some, like me, use a built in or USB 3 card reader and "file explorer" to copy/move images [end edit].

<removed link per forum guidelines>

I hope this helps.

FD

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

I did unclick "Copy items to the Photos library", but it still imports two copies of the image. 

In any case, this fix wouldn't explain why I get only one copy when I take the second card out, would it?
(Even though there is demonstrably nothing on the second card...)

Cheers, 

t

@TormodVBurkey wrote:

I did unclick "Copy items to the Photos library", but it still imports two copies of the image. 

In any case, this fix wouldn't explain why I get only one copy when I take the second card out, would it?
(Even though there is demonstrably nothing on the second card...)

Cheers, 

t

Thank you for the report, t. As for the second card being removed, no it wouldn't expain it to me, but I don't know the ins and outs of the Mac OS. From your comment, I take it that you are connecting directly to the camera. Have you tried just accessing the card either in a reader (USB or built in)? Are the files being automatically coppied to separate folders? I assume the latter based on my use of Windows. It will append the file name if you copy a file with the same name to the same folder or ask you to overwrite/skip. Accessing the card only would exclude the camera as the problem.

I know, maybe obvious questions, but somestimes we / I overlook simple troubleshooting steps Smiley Happy

FD

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

I did get the SD-card to read in the my MacBook Pro (15", mid 2012). There is only one copy of the photo in the card. Then again, this might be analogous to removing the other card before importing from the camera, which also causes Photos or Preview to see/import only one copy (even though the second card is empty!). I don't get the same issue using Photos with my Canon 7D mark ii. Seems like it might be an interaction between MacOS and the Canon 5D mark iv... (For a while MacOS did not have support for Canon 5D mark iv, and I can't use iPhoto like I used to with the 7D mark ii, because while MacOS eventually supported 5D mark iv's RAW format, iPhoto is no longer being updated.)

Thanks for your help!

t

@TormodVBurkey wrote:

I did get the SD-card to read in the my MacBook Pro (15", mid 2012). There is only one copy of the photo in the card. 

Thanks for your help!

t

When you copy those files straight from the card, do you get duplicates after the copy? Just curious. I do understan that the card shows no duplicates, just curious if you end up with duplicats after the copy/move and if to seperate folders.

FD

No, importing from the SD-card reader yields only a single copy, whether I just do a single image (select and chose "open with" into Photos) or mount the SD card reader in Photos and chose "Import all new"... Seems pretty analog to mounting the camera with just a single card in it... 

@TormodVBurkey wrote:

No, importing from the SD-card reader yields only a single copy, whether I just do a single image (select and chose "open with" into Photos) or mount the SD card reader in Photos and chose "Import all new"... Seems pretty analog to mounting the camera with just a single card in it... 

Thanks, t. Sorry for the odd questions. I am not that familiar with Mac OS, but I am a retired systems/IT admin (Windows and Linux) and have had to troubleshoot Mac in a limited copacity. I'm not so sure that mounting your camera would be similar to mounting a USB or built in card reader, especially since you mentioned that Apple didn't support the 5D mark IV for a while.

FD

MY ISSUE IS RESOLVED.

The duplication occurred only when I had cards in both slots, even though I was only writing to one card. I DID A MARK IV firmware update and it resolved the duplication when connecting USB to import, even if I have both cards in slots and only using one.

@Lookinthrualens wrote:

MY ISSUE IS RESOLVED.

Thank you. I hope this helps others. Sometimes we tend to overlook the dreaded, but needed, firmware updates.

FD

Thank you. 

Cheers - Angela

Announcements