cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D duplicating images

angeladeagan
Contributor

Hello Canon users.   When I transfer images to my Mac it imports two of the same image.   If I take one of the cards out of the camera first it is ok.   So I must be storage the image on both cards,  just don't know how to correct this on my camera?   Any ideas? 

Cheers 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I don't have a 5D owner's manual but the setup is similar for most of the current Canon cameras.  Under the menu setting for record function (under the "wrench/tool" icon for most current bodies), you will have several choices of whether you want to save images to one or both cards simultaneously and what format is used for each (RAW on both cards, RAW on one, JPG on the other, etc.) 

I may be living dangerously but I have never bothered with recording to both cards.  I primarily shoot sports but if I was a wedding photographer I would use that dual record option.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

MY ISSUE IS RESOLVED.

The duplication occurred only when I had cards in both slots, even though I was only writing to one card. I DID A MARK IV firmware update and it resolved the duplication when connecting USB to import, even if I have both cards in slots and only using one.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I don't have a 5D owner's manual but the setup is similar for most of the current Canon cameras.  Under the menu setting for record function (under the "wrench/tool" icon for most current bodies), you will have several choices of whether you want to save images to one or both cards simultaneously and what format is used for each (RAW on both cards, RAW on one, JPG on the other, etc.) 

I may be living dangerously but I have never bothered with recording to both cards.  I primarily shoot sports but if I was a wedding photographer I would use that dual record option.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thanks for your help Rodger.

Cheers - Angela

Hi Rodger,

I have just made sure that I am only saving images to one card (thank you).  I have also just formatted both cards and it is still duplicating the image when transferring to my Mac?    Any ideas ??

Hi Angela,

Which version of the 5D do you have (i.e. Mark IV) because there are many generations of this camera.  Do you have the camera set to save both RAW and JPG images?  If so, one copy of the file is the RAW version and the other is JPG and you can either record both file types to the same card or another setting puts each file type on a different card.  Take a close look at the duplicate files on your Mac to make sure that they aren't actually two different file formats with one in RAW and the other in JPG format.

Good luck!

Rodger

Hi Rodger,

I have the Mark IV.  I am only saving one jpeg image.   I've tried recording the image in Standard mode, the Auto Switch Card mode and also the Rec. Seperately mode.   

On my Mac both the images are exactly the same jpeg file.     

I'm thinking it maybe a Mac problem, so I will try the Mac Support.      Thank you again.

Cheers - Angela

Good luck with it Angela!  The really strange part is that the problem disappears when you pull one of the cards out which makes it sound like for some reason the camera is still writing to both cards even thought that option wasn't selected.  You should be able to select either card to review in the camera and can see whether both cards actually have files on them.  Or if you have an external card reader you can use that to see what is on the cards.

Rodger

I have this exact same issue with 5dMarkIV. This is the first time I've found a forum with someone having this issue. This issue does not happen to me when I'm using the 7dMarkII.

I haven't resolved my issue yet.   When I am downloading photos to my computer I take out the either the SD or Compact Flash.    I'll let you know if I have any success.

Cheers

I have the same problem. I shoot raw, and either way, uploading two copies of every image to my computer is a real pain, and having to delete every other one.

I have had the same problem occasionally with another camera (a Canon 7D mark ii). Loading images to MacOS iPhoto, or MacOS Photos. It eventually went away.

Would like to find out how to control this... Any solution?

Announcements