cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark ii Back LCD Screen Not Turning On

kdmoose
Apprentice

My Canon 5D Mark ii back LCD screen just stopped working for the Menu screens, photo previews and live view. The only image seen on the screen is the "Sensor Cleaning" image when I turn off the camera. The body has 54,000 shutter actuations. Is there a known issue to cause this problem? I know the LCD is working to some extent due to the the sensor cleaning image being shown, but why nothing else is visible is boggling?

I have seen other posts where the back LCD only works in Auto Mode. This is not the case for my camera. Could a semi-stuck button being causing the problem? I don't see how a Menu/function modification could be the issue. I think I would have known what I did if this were the case. Would a reset to factory solve the issue?

Thank you

8 REPLIES 8

boxerlover28638
Apprentice

Mine is doing the same thing, did you find a fix? 

Apprentice,

No fix as of yet. Please let me know if you are able to find a solution.

In response to "Mine is doing the same thing, did you find a fix?" 

Did you, by any change recently try to get a shutter count from the camera?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Have you tried the following? - NOTE that the second point is based on my 5DIII, so the exact menu options may vary.

- Pressing the INFO button repeatedly?

-On the WRENCH menu, page 3, check the INFO button display options in case they have been turned off.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Trevor,

Both have been tried with no success. 

As mentioned earlier, the screen works... showing the "Sensor Cleaning" text when powering off the computer. But I am not able to get anything else to display. Inside the viewfinder, everything works. The top LCD panel works too.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@kdmoose wrote:

My Canon 5D Mark ii back LCD screen just stopped working for the Menu screens, photo previews and live view. The only image seen on the screen is the "Sensor Cleaning" image when I turn off the camera. The body has 54,000 shutter actuations. Is there a known issue to cause this problem? I know the LCD is working to some extent due to the the sensor cleaning image being shown, but why nothing else is visible is boggling?

I have seen other posts where the back LCD only works in Auto Mode. This is not the case for my camera. Could a semi-stuck button being causing the problem? I don't see how a Menu/function modification could be the issue. I think I would have known what I did if this were the case. Would a reset to factory solve the issue?

Thank you

I am curious as to how you were able to obtain a shutter count on a camera that seems to have some sort of malfunction.  I ask because there are some apps out there that claim to be able to read the shutter count do so by altering the firmware in the camera.  The change causes the camera to report a shutter count to the app.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

boxerlover28638
Apprentice

My shutter button had sand around it, and seemed to not go all the way down once I cleaned that out The shutter  released and the screen came back on. Worth a shot. Hopefully it will fix yours 

Hopefully that is the issue. How did you remove the sand?  Any instruction would be greatly appreciated.

Announcements