cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark IV video automatically stopped recording on fast SD cards

chansjsu
Contributor

My 5D Mark IV seems to randomly "automatically stopped recording" video when using various fast SD cards. It's strange, it might record for several minutes long clips without any issues but then suddenly stop on it's own on a new clip after a few seconds. After that it would appear to be stuck "writing" as the red LED indicator keeps lit and the rest of the camera is unresponsive for a while. Have even sometimes had to pull the battery after being nonresponsive for a while.

Now these are all fast SD cards of various brands and they've all exhibited this behavior, but again randomly. It doesn't do it on the first video I start shooting on so I've always thought that maybe only some brands/speeds work while others don't, or maybe it depends on the video recording mode/settings and what I'm shooting (like if it's busy/has a lot of info to process it can't keep up). 

After multiple shoots I've seen this happen and have had to revert back to only using CF cards to be safe. 

Cards I've used are SanDisk Extreme PRO SDXC, Transcend and Sony, all of them Class 10, UHS-I U3 with high rated speeds. All bought from reputable retailers like B&H, Adorama, etc and all of them have worked flawlessly on other cameras like Sony and Panasonic shooting 4K video. On my Canon 5D Mark IV I wouldn't even be shooting 4K, am only shooting 1080p footage and this still happens. I remember it happening even on my old 5D Mark III with some SD cards as well. 

Are the U3 SD cards just not fast enough for Canon even though they work perfectly on every other camera? Am I just unlucky and got 2 5D bodies in a row that have randomly defective SD slots? 

Would appreciate any help! 

Thank you!

54 REPLIES 54

@Stephen wrote:

Hi there!

You want to make sure your SD card has a sustained write speed that meets or exceeds the read/write specification for the quality you want to record. In the case of 4K video on the EOS 5D Mark IV, the card has to be able to read and write consistently (not burst) at 90MB per second or faster. Many cards will achieve burst rate, but not sustained rate, and this will cause the process to fail. 

You can look at our knowledge base article on the speed class requirements HERE

We've found that UDMA 7 100 MB per second or faster CF cards tend to be easier to source. 

If you need further assistance, we invite you to reach out to our US-based technical support team at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666) for one-on-one troubleshooting! 

I suspect that Stephen’s point about sustained write speed probably explains why SD cards may stop recording video, especially 4K video.  Most write speed specifications are actually a maximum burst speed, not a sustained speed.  The CF memory cards are generally capable of faster sustained write speeds than most SD cards.  

Out of the cards that were in the image that you posted, I have had issues with Sony and Transcend memory cards and thumb drives, but never with Sandisk.  In fact, I use that very same Sandisk 64 GB SD card in my cameras.  B&H includes it in a kit with a 64GB CF card.  But, I am not trying to record 4K video with them.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

This thread ended abruptly, did someone find a permanent solution or answer? I'm having the same issue and I am a bit disappointed to say the least. Video is my main business and I bought this camera to shoot 4k video. Never mind the fact that it's cropped, but this issue is frustrating. I've used SDXC 95mbps and CF cards with even faster speeds, and still encountered the same random problem. How is it possible that I can record for 30 min in 4k on a card and then do a low-level format on that same card and/or use an identical type of card and try to shoot 4k again and the video stops after 7 seconds? I may end up calling support for 1-on-1 or sending it in, but seeing that I'm not the only one with the issue I figure Canon may have been proactive by this point and at least admit that they are beginning to look at the issue. Anyone out there know what's going on? Thanks in advance for the community of support.    

Oh wow, you're getting this problem even with fast CF cards? 

I've only ever gotten this problem with SD cards so my solution is to just avoid them and only stick with CF when shooting video. 

I also have been slowly moving over for Sony for video and especially when 4K is needed. At least with the adapters we can still keep using all of our Canon lenses. 

We just continue to wait until when or IF Canon ever decides to be serious with DSLR video... in the mean time Sony and Panasonic are happy to make it work for us and at least we can keep using Canon glass. 

I bought SD cards that write 150mbs specifically after reading the guidelines in the manual and I have this problem.  Am I to understand that SD cards will not support 4K video?  I tried low level formatting on two brand new Lexar cards and still have this issue.

Lexar 128GB Professional 1000x UHS-II U3 SDXC Memory Card.

@FuzzyMarmetwrote:

I bought SD cards that write 150mbs specifically after reading the guidelines in the manual and I have this problem.  Am I to understand that SD cards will not support 4K video?  I tried low level formatting on two brand new Lexar cards and still have this issue.

Lexar 128GB Professional 1000x UHS-II U3 SDXC Memory Card.

I do not believe that UHS-II U3 cards are recommended for use with that camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Does this actually work? Haven't tried it but I am also experiencing the same thing. Any other solutions you came up with? Thanks!

Hi Guys im using Samsung EVO+ MB-MC256DA - flash memory card - 256 GB - microSDXC UHS-I and it stops. Is this card compatible.

Hello alvarez8314, 

It appears that card may meet the specifications however, it's a microSD card within an adapter and that could possibly be the cause of the issue. We suggest trying a standard full size SDHC/ SDXC card in your camera to see if the same issue arises. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Tim wrote:

Hello alvarez8314, 

It appears that card may meet the specifications however, it's a microSD card within an adapter and that could possibly be the cause of the issue. We suggest trying a standard full size SDHC/ SDXC card in your camera to see if the same issue arises. 

Thank you, Tim!! Every time we advise users not to use micro-SD cards in their cameras, somebody tries to shout us down, claiming that Canon thinks micro-SD cards are just fine.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

In my original post, I never said I ever used microSD cards. I've always only used full sized SDXC cards that were rated at high speeds but have had the video stop recording on all of them at some point. Again the most annoying thing is it seems to happen randomly. If we know what the pattern or specific settings that would help a little bit... but most poeple I know shooting with a 5D4 just avoids the SD slot for any video shooting at this point out of fear of it stopping and screwing us. Just stick with the CF cards...

Announcements