cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark IV video automatically stopped recording on fast SD cards

chansjsu
Contributor

My 5D Mark IV seems to randomly "automatically stopped recording" video when using various fast SD cards. It's strange, it might record for several minutes long clips without any issues but then suddenly stop on it's own on a new clip after a few seconds. After that it would appear to be stuck "writing" as the red LED indicator keeps lit and the rest of the camera is unresponsive for a while. Have even sometimes had to pull the battery after being nonresponsive for a while.

Now these are all fast SD cards of various brands and they've all exhibited this behavior, but again randomly. It doesn't do it on the first video I start shooting on so I've always thought that maybe only some brands/speeds work while others don't, or maybe it depends on the video recording mode/settings and what I'm shooting (like if it's busy/has a lot of info to process it can't keep up). 

After multiple shoots I've seen this happen and have had to revert back to only using CF cards to be safe. 

Cards I've used are SanDisk Extreme PRO SDXC, Transcend and Sony, all of them Class 10, UHS-I U3 with high rated speeds. All bought from reputable retailers like B&H, Adorama, etc and all of them have worked flawlessly on other cameras like Sony and Panasonic shooting 4K video. On my Canon 5D Mark IV I wouldn't even be shooting 4K, am only shooting 1080p footage and this still happens. I remember it happening even on my old 5D Mark III with some SD cards as well. 

Are the U3 SD cards just not fast enough for Canon even though they work perfectly on every other camera? Am I just unlucky and got 2 5D bodies in a row that have randomly defective SD slots? 

Would appreciate any help! 

Thank you!

54 REPLIES 54

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Are you performing a low level format on memory cards before you use them?  Good, I though you were, because that is most likely not the issue.  

Because of the file system used to format most memory cards, there is a 4GB limit on the maximum file size.  At maximum video resolutions, this can result in video clips that are only several minutes long.  Some DSLRs will stop recording, while others will try to keep recording by storing video data to a new file.

EOS_80D_MovieRecordingTimes.JPG

Sometimes, it takes time to write a 4GB file.  Your camera may show "buSY" on its' display until the 4GB file is fully written.  Meanwhile, if you are still recording video while the 4GB file is being written, then everything can slow to a craw.

The above image is a screen shot of the instruction manual for an EOS 80D, I think, but it is typical of nearly all Canon DSLRs that are limited to maximum file sizes of 4GB.  Be aware that most DSLRs, not just Canon's, may also be limited to a maximum recording time of 30 minutes in a single video file, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hmm, I haven't done low level format, just the regular quick formatting on SD cards.
As for the 4GB limit, that's never been an issue as I know with the 5D Mark IV and I think even since the Mark III they've automatically rolled over into a new file after the 4GB. The only other times I know it'll stop if it reaches 30 minutes, which is normal behavior.

Again I've only seen this happen only ever with SD cards. CF cards have never stopped recording on me ever. And again with the SD cards, it doesn't happen consistently which is why I haven't been able to pinpoint the exact cause of this issue.

@chansjsu wrote:
Hmm, I haven't done low level format, just the regular quick formatting on SD cards.
As for the 4GB limit, that's never been an issue as I know with the 5D Mark IV and I think even since the Mark III they've automatically rolled over into a new file after the 4GB. The only other times I know it'll stop if it reaches 30 minutes, which is normal behavior.

Again I've only seen this happen only ever with SD cards. CF cards have never stopped recording on me ever. And again with the SD cards, it doesn't happen consistently which is why I haven't been able to pinpoint the exact cause of this issue.

Then it is time to do a low level format.

I will try and test that out. What does low level formatting do exactly and why does not doing so cause these problems with SD cards? It doesn't seem to take much longer than formatting without that option. However on other forums there are comments about low level formatting shortening the cards life.

One thing that was awesome with Sony cameras for example is if you use a slower card, if you are shooting a particular video setting that requires a certain speed, it will tell you before you start shooting if the speed isn't sufficient. I wish our Canon cams had this capability.

@chansjsu wrote:
I will try and test that out. What does low level formatting do exactly and why does not doing so cause these problems with SD cards? It doesn't seem to take much longer than formatting without that option. However on other forums there are comments about low level formatting shortening the cards life.

One thing that was awesome with Sony cameras for example is if you use a slower card, if you are shooting a particular video setting that requires a certain speed, it will tell you before you start shooting if the speed isn't sufficient. I wish our Canon cams had this capability.

What does low level formatting do?  A new memory card may seem to be fully formatted straight out of the packaging.  But, this formatting is residue from production testing, and needs to be completely erased.

Why does not low level formatting cause problems?  See above explanation by Tim.  Canon DSLRs won't even let you copy photo files on to a memory card, and have them recognized by the camera.  

Performing a low level format on a solid state media does not damage the media anymore than normal use would.  It used to be true of removable media like floppy disks, which were susceptible to mechanical wear and tear, and surface erosion.  Making a similar claim about solid state media is utter nonsense.  There are no moving parts to wear out.

That's a nice feature that you describe in Sony gear.  I guess Sony has the extra programming space to add such a feature.

Ok, thank you all for the explanations about low level formatting! If it doesn't shorten the cards life at all, then I will just be doing only low level formatting from here on out at all times just to be safe then.

@chansjsu wrote:
Ok, thank you all for the explanations about low level formatting! If it doesn't shorten the cards life at all, then I will just be doing only low level formatting from here on out at all times just to be safe then.

A low level format in camera takes some seconds. A complete overwrite with SD Formatter takes a half hour depending on card size. I haven't seen any papers from Canon what exactly a low level format in camera does, but in the manual this is written:

"Perform low-level formatting if the cards recording or reading speed seems slow or if you want to totally erase data in the card."

Edit: It seems SD card can use a "ERASE" command to erase the whole card.

@Peter wrote:

@chansjsu wrote:

A low level format in camera takes some seconds. A complete overwrite with SD Formatter takes a half hour depending on card size. I haven't seen any papers from Canon what exactly a low level format in camera does, but in the manual this is written:

"Perform low-level formatting if the cards recording or reading speed seems slow or if you want to totally erase data in the card."

I think Canon DSLRs perform a "low level" format WAY TOO QUICKLY, for them to perform all of the formatting and testing that I have always thought of as a low level format.  A Canon camera can do a low level format on a 32GB memory card in about 10-15 seconds.  It takes my laptop several minutes to do a low level format on the same memory card.

hi,

yesterday i have the same issue...the problem can be solved by switch the camera off and on... after that, it will be record more then 3 seconds....very strange.

Do you found another resolution for this?

Announcements