cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark IV sensor damage tests

drakegho
Apprentice

So piggybacking on my last post, definitely photos are coming out washed out and loss of definition and sharpness. Believe there is sensor damage now from the eclipse but have no definitive evidence other than subjective “loss of quality.” What tests can I do to confirm this? Any output tests, etc.? There are zero burnt pixels, but overall the image quality looks very subtly burnt and overexposed

3 REPLIES 3

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You could try something like a colorite color checker, but without a "before" shot of the same conditions, it is hard to tell.

You could also rent another one and do a side by side comparison - even with the same lens on each!

Assuming that you had the eclipse image in focus, it is unlikely to have caused general damage to the sensor.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Unless you were shooting the eclipse without a filter, it's unlikely the sensor in your camera was damaged.  

I would suggest starting your testing from a clean slate.  Reset your main and custom settings to defaults.  Establish a baseline and progress from there.. 

resetting 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

The whole point of shooting a total eclipse is to shoot it without a filter during totality!

However, you could wait too long - looking for Bailey's Beads - before you put it back on.

Announcements