cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D MK IV registering custom shooting modes

CLB1941
Contributor

With my 5D MK IV i get the  C1,C2, andC3 to have the letter p attached instead of m . C1p,C2p,C3p. My 7DMK II the letters are C1m.C2m,C3m.  I assume p must mean program since I do not have an option to enter the aperture or the shutter speed when I click on the  quick control(q) button. How can I get the default to go from p to m? 

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

You need to set the camera up in the mode nd settings you want and then register the settings to the custom function.

Capture.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Once you "register" a custom mode, you'll see the mode as a subscript in the upper-left corner of the LCD screen if you've got the screen on the page that shows camera settings.

E.g. if I was in "Av" mode when I register C1 then when I rotate the mode dial to C1 I'll see "C1Av" (except the "Av" will be in small sub-script font) next to "C1".  If I register C2 when I was in "Tv" mode then I'd see C1Tv (with Tv in subscript).  

It just serves as a reminder of which creative mode (P, Av, Tv, or M) was used when you registered that custom setting. 

The idea here is that suppose you are shooting a sporting event and when you shoot players on the field (action shots) you prefer to use Tv mode and you also prefer to use "AI Servo" focus behavior, etc.   BUT... when you shoot people at the event (non-action photos) you prefer to use Av mode and you prefer to use "One Shot" focus behavior.

You would set up the camera as if there were no custom modes... just put it in Tv mode, set the focus mode... and set any other configuration that you want.  Now use the camera menu to "register" your current settings to a custom mode (C1, C2, or C3).    Suppose we pick C1.

Next switch the camera to Av mode, switch the focus back to "One Shot", and switch any other settings you prefer to use, and "register" those to a different custom mode.  Suppose we pick C2.

Now you can swtich to C1 and shoot action photography then swtich to C2 and shoot non-action photography and all your settings quickly flip from one mode to the other without you having to change each setting.

But when you do this, you'll see "C1Tv" in the upper-left corner of the settings screen when you set the dial to C1 and you'll see "C2Av" in the upper-left corner when you swtich to the C2 position on the dial.  That serves as a reminder to you of which mode the camera is using on that custom dial setting.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks for your help. 

diverhank
Authority

@CLB1941 wrote:

With my 5D MK IV i get the  C1,C2, andC3 to have the letter p attached instead of m . C1p,C2p,C3p. My 7DMK II the letters are C1m.C2m,C3m.  I assume p must mean program since I do not have an option to enter the aperture or the shutter speed when I click on the  quick control(q) button. How can I get the default to go from p to m? 

The custom mode C1, C2 and C3 shows the mode you were at when you registered it.  Yes P for Program, M for Manual, etc.  For your 5D mk IV, just change the mode to M then re-register it.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

THANKS!  I was searching for information on this conundrum for my R5 and came across this.  It would have been great if Canon would have explained this in their manuals.  VERY confusing.  Thanks for your explanation.  Went back and "corrected" the setting according to your info and, voilà!, back to C3M not C3P!  Much obliged!

Explained on page 790-791 of the R5 pdf manual. Be sure to access latest version from the website.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements