cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D MIv wont power on

openskies2009
Contributor

I have a 5D MIV, I connected a AC adap power to the battery compartment and ran it for a few hours, and then it stopped turning on. I got the AC power through amazon matching the camera model. Tried switching lenses and tried fully powered batteries. Tried testing the battery door button. But the camera is dead. Upon trying to register to get support, the website is saying no serial number is found. 

1) Suggestions?

2) Where can I actually call support?

4 REPLIES 4

rs-eos
Elite

What specific power adapter did your purchase? Please specify brand and part number.

I have a feeling that it may be from some unknown brand since it came from Amazon.

Also, where did you purchase your EOS 5D IV from?  Was it an authorized Canon reseller within the United States?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

openskies2009
Contributor

Purchased the 5D from Amazon.

SamanthaW_0-1698868693836.png

[Replaced link with image to facilitate discussion.]

But from what seller?  Notice that the adapter you reference is from a "Kimaru Store".  Defintely not an authorized dealer.  Check your Amazon invoice for what seller sold you the EOS 5D IV.  It could very well be a gray market item, or an item meant to be sold outside the United States.  That could be the reason why you cannot register it within the US.

To view the Authorized Canon Resellers, see the link provided on This Page.  For future purchases, only purchase your Canon gear from vendors on that list.   For Amazon, you have to double-check that you're actually getting something from Canon.  Personally, I avoid Amazon for all my electronics gear as well as accessories.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

normadel
Authority
Authority

AC adapters/battery replacers can be a risky thing if not OEM (Canon) brand or some of the reputable aftermarket companies. The risk can be they don't work, or they can damage your camera, maybe not immediately.

Never heard of "Kimaru". Anyone can have an Amazon Store, even junk purveyors. Kimaru looks like one. Just cheap battery chargers and AC adapters and lots of other trinkets. And their contact information is in Chinese. 

They don't sell cameras, so the question still is, who was the seller of the camera? Amazon listings show "Sold By...." and "Ships From....." 

Announcements