cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3rd party lenses dont work on M6 Mk2 camera according to Cannon tech support, what can i use then?

nothingworks
Apprentice

I have a canon M6 Mk2 camera and wanted to find a fisheye lens for it.

I bought the amazon recommended rokinon 8mm EF-M mount fisheye lens and attached it, and it would not let me take photos or shoot movies. Canon phone tech support said since the lens did not have electrical contacts on it, the camera cant see it, and so it wont work.

There are reviews on amazon that claim they have the exact same camera and that it works. There are no setting in this camera to shoot without a lens and canon phone support said they dont know any canon cameras that have that feature. The reviews from people with the same camera/lens said to put it in manual or apeture priority mode to make it work, but this does nothing. Ive tried every mode possible. 

Am i missing something here? Attempts at reaching rokinon support were unsuccessful, there doesnt appear to be anyone at their company during business hours. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

You need to download the advanced users guide for your camera from Canon support:  https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-ca...

Then on page 543, you will find custom function III-4 which allows shutter release without a lens attached.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

You need to download the advanced users guide for your camera from Canon support:  https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-ca...

Then on page 543, you will find custom function III-4 which allows shutter release without a lens attached.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

That worked thank you. This is my first time using a canon and while the camera is great the company apparently is not. It is good to know at least the community will help. 

"Canon phone tech support said since the lens did not have electrical contacts on it, the camera cant see it, and so it wont work."

Sorry but I am not buying that.  I don't know what went wrong or may have been misunderstood but I can't ever see them telling you that you can't use a 3rd party lens.  The tech may have meant it won't work automatically. 

I understand they will not offer "how" to use one but not that you "can't".

Any company that makes gadgets (lenses) would be nuts to offer support on or for off brand gadgets (lenses). You are not likely to be in the gadget business for very long if you did. After all Canon does put the explicit instructions on how to do it in the manual if only folks took the time to read it.  Right?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Glad you got the issue sorted out. But don't be too qiuck to paint Canon Support with too broad of a brush. Most of the members here will tell you that Canon's support staff tends to do a better job than most any other camera manufacturer. And some of their technical people also hang out and help solve issues here on the forums, voluntarily I believe.

Feel free to stick around and post any other questions that arise. And enjoy your new camera.

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

@nothingworks wrote:

"Canon phone tech support said since the lens did not have electrical contacts on it, the camera cant see it, and so it wont work."

"There are no setting in this camera to shoot without a lens and Canon phone support said they dont know any canon cameras that have that feature."

I wonder if the Canon phone techs are intentionally misleading their customers? Or are they just misinformed and lacking knowledge?

Either way I would expect more from Canon support. 

Mike Sowsun
Announcements