cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

200D SL2 Microphone issues

Ploppy
Apprentice

Firstly, Hello and please help an extremely frustrated newbie Canon user.

I have a Canon 200D SL2.

I am a complete newbie to all things camera.

I am trying to shoot short films with ambient sound.

When I put the camera into movie mode, in whatever setting on the thumb wheel, there is a symbol at the bottom / middle of the screen with a microphone icon and stating OFF. This is the case with or without an external microphone (in this case a Rode Videomic GO).

I can find no menu, no button, nothing that gives the ability to toggle the microphone on, be it the built in microphones or an external microphone. The user manual gives no detail whatsoever about the microphone function other than an aside 'sound will be recorded by the built in microphones'.

I have read several posts on various sites with similar issues but not a single solution, at least not one I have found.

Please help before I throw the thing off a cliff.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Now this is bizarre. After reading the reply I thought I would take a deep breath and look again; first menu screen, click, sound, click, turn on click. Now movies with sound, so easy.

The menus I was scrolling through before were in not colour like the ones where I (easily) found the sound controls. Now I can not replicate that, just as well! Confused but all sorted.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

John_
Authority

You should have options in your sound menu for Auto, Manual or Disable...your sound may be set to disable or the level is all the way down in Manual sound mode. Check your settings there while in Movie mode and chose either Auto or Manual, in Manual you set the sound levels. No cliff yet!!!

Now this is bizarre. After reading the reply I thought I would take a deep breath and look again; first menu screen, click, sound, click, turn on click. Now movies with sound, so easy.

The menus I was scrolling through before were in not colour like the ones where I (easily) found the sound controls. Now I can not replicate that, just as well! Confused but all sorted.

Announcements