cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1DX Mk1 USB Connector broken

paparatsey
Contributor

My trusty 1DX Mk1 has finally let go its USB jack. I always shoot tethered in the studio and, despite having a 'jerk protector' connected, the cable has still been yanked too many times. Today was the last it could take and I now have absolutely no connection.

I have had my eye on a EOS R3 but I'm not ready to put down that kind of cash since I'd need to also replace my 24-70 and 70-200 'L' glass. 

Is the USB board an available part and easily replaced? Should I upgrade in the interim to a Mk2 or even a Mk3? My Mk1 only has about 80,000 actuations, so plenty of life left in the dog. I've shot D bodies since an original 1D. Having it go down like this is heartbreaking!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Used 1D X bodies are going for about $1000 on KEH, so it is worth considering a repair.

Check with USCamera-dot-com and see if they sell the part.

Your EF glass will work as well or better on the R3 with the Canon adapter.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Doesn’t it have an RJ-45 Ethernet port?  If so, use that.  Connect it to a switch or router on the same network as your computer.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

It does, but I'm not sure if Capture One supports tethered via the LAN cable. When shooting tethered on location, I also wouldn't be connected to a network.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Used 1D X bodies are going for about $1000 on KEH, so it is worth considering a repair.

Check with USCamera-dot-com and see if they sell the part.

Your EF glass will work as well or better on the R3 with the Canon adapter.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks for the tip! They had the part in stock, so ordered it.

I have my next shoot in less than a week which doesn't leave me much time to get it fixed and confirmed working. I do have an older 1D MkIII which is my official backup body, but does anyone ever really want to use their backup? Wife has convinced me that 11 years of use warrants an upgrade, so I'm now going through the various steps of self-justification on getting the R3. A new R3 is the same price as a used 1Dx3 - as much as I love the 1D body and OVF, this old photographer needs to accept that mirrorless is the future and move on. Your comment regarding the adapter is encouraging as well, at least I can wait before updating the glass.

Just hope the R3 is as tank-like as the 1Dx. I actually had an SUV drive over my camera bag a few years back - the 28-70 f/2.8L was ripped clean off the 1Dx mount with not a mark on the camera. Had to replace with a new 24-70, so that one's very new still.

With less than a week to get the R3 and learn how to use it, I'd best get back to my 'research'.

Announcements