cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1DX III autofocus fail

fdfd
Contributor

Lately my 1DX MKIII autofocus has had an intermittent failure issue.  I generally use the large zone, AI auto focus setup, and sometimes it just stops working.  The small auto focus square disappears and i can't focus at all.  I can't change autofocus zones and use a diffferent method, the whole thing just locks up.  Sometimes it'll come back on it's own, other times I have to restart the camera, and sometimes even after a resstart it doesn't work for a while.

Has anyone had an issue like this?  I've had the camera for around a year, and this began in the past month or so.

8 REPLIES 8

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I have not experienced that. 

If a reset of all settings doesn't seem to resolve send it in to Canon. 

Before you do a reset save the camera settings to your card so you can restore them later if the reset doesn't resolve (I.e. the settings weren't the problem). 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Is this happening with multiple lenses or just one?  On the "great white" primes with the ring of AF stop buttons around the outer end, an intermittently sticking switch will cause odd AF functionality issues.

I have had my 1DX III since February of 2020 and have used it a lot, primarily sports, and I have not experienced any odd issues.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

I've been shooting primarily with my 400 f/2.8 lately.  I don't know that i've had the issue with other lenses, but I use that 400 95% of the time.  I'll try some other lenses today and see if I can replicate it.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Using AI Focus mode could be contributing to the issue, as the camera decides whether to use One Shot or AI Servo focusing. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

During a moment when the malfunction was occuring regularly (multiple reboots attempting to fix it) I switched over to the "AF Point Expansion" (the one that looks like a plus sign) and I had no problems.  I could shoot fine in that mode.

During the malfuctions I can't switch anything.  The autofocus system is completely locked up.  I can't see any of the autofocus points, can't focus, and can't change any settings associated with the autofocus.  A few moments later I might get it back for a bit, then it'll go out again.

it doesn't just occur while actively shooting either.  At one point I was focused on a shortstop, waiting for the pitch, and the autofocus just quit while I was actively tracking him.   The autofocus boxes were blinking and tracking (AI Servo AF) and then blip....nothing.  I could see the outline of the Large Zone AF, but nothing else and couldn't do anything other than reboot.

Same lens, diffferent AF setting and the problem seemed to go away.

This camera has already had to go back to the factory once to get an autofocus issue fixed, which is likely why my inital gut feeling is that it's the camera, and not the lens. Anything is possible though. 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
The 1D X Mark III does not have AI Focus.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

It has AI Servo AF which is what I'm referring to, everyone else seemed to get it.  

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Some cameras have an AI Focus mode that tries to decide whether to select One Shot or AI Servo. Frequently chooses wrong 😀
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements