cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

would it be good to buy a 18-135mm F3.5-5.6) IS and a 70-300mm F4-5.6 IS both for my Canon 70D?

mauriciocayo
Contributor

would it be good to buy a 18-135mm F3.5-5.6) IS + a 70-300mm F4-5.6 IS both for my Canon 70D? 

Or a 18-135mm F3.5-5.6) IS + a 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS STM?

Or with a 70-200? but then budget increases too much.

what do you recommend me? i want to have fun soooon taking pictures toi animals in Sri Lanka. Later i would pick a macro to take photo to insects when i do bike trails and also the Telescopic that i should choose.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

The 18-135 STM  and 55-250 STM would make a nice kit for the 70D. The 18-55 STM and 55-250 STM would also work well but would require you to changes lenses more often.

I recommend the 55-250mm IS STM over the 55-250mm IS or IS II because it is sharper and has a non-rotating front element. This also applies to the 18-55 versions.

I would not recommend the70-300mm IS because it is an older design with Micro-USM autofocus and a rotating front element which can be frustrating when using polarizing filters.  The 55-250mm IS STM is sharper than the 70-300mm IS and the STM autofocus is both faster and quieter than the AF used in the 70-300mm. 

If you can afford it, the 70-200mm L or 70-300mm L lenses are even better. 

Mike Sowsun

View solution in original post

The lenses you mentioned are fine, actually very good, for the vast majority of amature photograhpers.

The lens I suggested is a step up lens.  And the "L" lens I recommended is a full on professional lens.  The best that Canon makes.

You will be more than happy with your original selection.  Smiley Happy   Go make some beautiful pictures!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

The 18-135 STM  and 55-250 STM would make a nice kit for the 70D. The 18-55 STM and 55-250 STM would also work well but would require you to changes lenses more often.

I recommend the 55-250mm IS STM over the 55-250mm IS or IS II because it is sharper and has a non-rotating front element. This also applies to the 18-55 versions.

I would not recommend the70-300mm IS because it is an older design with Micro-USM autofocus and a rotating front element which can be frustrating when using polarizing filters.  The 55-250mm IS STM is sharper than the 70-300mm IS and the STM autofocus is both faster and quieter than the AF used in the 70-300mm. 

If you can afford it, the 70-200mm L or 70-300mm L lenses are even better. 

Mike Sowsun

Don't you think there's much difference to take far away pictures between 250mm vs 300mm?

No, there is very little difference between 250mm and 300mm.   This is especially true when the 250mm lens is sharper than the 300mm lens. You can easily crop the 250mm image to match the 300mm image and still have a better photo. 

Mike Sowsun

So, getting closer for my decisitio i would get the 18-135mm STM.
Additionally, for a zoom teleobjective lens, should I wait to get more money for a 70-200 f4 L USM (not IS as this overpass my budget)? Or get just the 55-250 f4-5.6 IS STM, with 50mm more zoom and STM? At the beginning i wanted 300mm but realized is not a sharp lens (70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM).

If you can not do the IS version, I would still go with the  I would buy a EF 28-135mm f4-5.6 IS USM

and the EF 70-200mm f4L non-IS.

Both of these lenses are far better in quality than what you are considering but it is up to you not me.

For one thing they are not S lenses.

EB

Why do you prefer the 28-135mm IS USM ibstead of 18-135mm IS STM? when this last one is more silent for video.

I don't shoot video.  I am a photographer not a videographer.  I shoot stilles.  I didn't realize you wanted it to do video.

Did you mention that and I missed it?

If the difference between the lenses is not appearent to you and you see no difference, you are better off getting the STM versions.  Save your money for something else.  I'm all in for you.  Smiley Happy  Happy shooting.

EB

I appreciate you help.
I am not professional but very deep in photographic and video hobby jobs parallel to a music band.
I was wondering why do you prefer a USM better than a STM? Maybe there some theory of these models than i dont know.
Thanks!

The lenses you mentioned are fine, actually very good, for the vast majority of amature photograhpers.

The lens I suggested is a step up lens.  And the "L" lens I recommended is a full on professional lens.  The best that Canon makes.

You will be more than happy with your original selection.  Smiley Happy   Go make some beautiful pictures!

EB
Announcements