cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

would it be good to buy a 18-135mm F3.5-5.6) IS and a 70-300mm F4-5.6 IS both for my Canon 70D?

mauriciocayo
Contributor

would it be good to buy a 18-135mm F3.5-5.6) IS + a 70-300mm F4-5.6 IS both for my Canon 70D? 

Or a 18-135mm F3.5-5.6) IS + a 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS STM?

Or with a 70-200? but then budget increases too much.

what do you recommend me? i want to have fun soooon taking pictures toi animals in Sri Lanka. Later i would pick a macro to take photo to insects when i do bike trails and also the Telescopic that i should choose.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

The 18-135 STM  and 55-250 STM would make a nice kit for the 70D. The 18-55 STM and 55-250 STM would also work well but would require you to changes lenses more often.

I recommend the 55-250mm IS STM over the 55-250mm IS or IS II because it is sharper and has a non-rotating front element. This also applies to the 18-55 versions.

I would not recommend the70-300mm IS because it is an older design with Micro-USM autofocus and a rotating front element which can be frustrating when using polarizing filters.  The 55-250mm IS STM is sharper than the 70-300mm IS and the STM autofocus is both faster and quieter than the AF used in the 70-300mm. 

If you can afford it, the 70-200mm L or 70-300mm L lenses are even better. 

Mike Sowsun

View solution in original post

The lenses you mentioned are fine, actually very good, for the vast majority of amature photograhpers.

The lens I suggested is a step up lens.  And the "L" lens I recommended is a full on professional lens.  The best that Canon makes.

You will be more than happy with your original selection.  Smiley Happy   Go make some beautiful pictures!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Last question!

Which Makro lenses would you me recommend? I don't know much about it.

THanks

The Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens, with out doubt a best-buy!

EB

thanks! and some other not sooo professional (let's say not sooo expensive) ?

" (let's say not sooo expensive)"

Unfortunately, as a recommendation from me this is going to be the least expensive choice.  There are no others I can give my blessing to. For one thing I generally don't recommend any off-brand lenses and that is where you will have to go.

Only time I will recommend an off-brand lens is if Canon does not make one or the Canon is so ridiculous high priced most folks can't afford it.

You might check out the Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro Standard AutoFocus Lens. I pesonally don't like it.

But it is a reasonable alternative and a little cheaper but remember not even in the same class as the EF 100mm f2.8.

EB

@mauriciocayo wrote:

thanks! and some other not sooo professional (let's say not sooo expensive) ?

Canon makes two 100mm macro lenses, the L and the “non-L” as recommended above.  Just making sure you weren’t looking at the price of the L version ($1000+) vs the non-L (< $600).  You could probably get a refurbished L directly from Canon (with warranty) for $450 or so.

I don’t have anything against third party lenses, but I agree with eBiggs on this one; Canon makes some of the best macro lenses out there, and they have a wide assortment of options at different price ranges.    Both of the 100mm macros, and the MP-E 65 are some of the best consumer options out there.  If it’s not in the budget I’d suggest saving until it is.

@Macro
What I think about 60mm is that is not heavy and easy to handel. Also it works with close fotos and open fotos, right?
I dont exactly need to take pictures just from insects, i would like to make artistic photos about things and create some stories.
Can imagine to choose a 60 instead of a 100mm?

The folks I know that have the EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM seem to be very happy with it.

Its angle of view is equivalent to a 96mm lens on a FF body.

EB

For a macro lens, look at the Tokina AT-X 100mm f/2.8.  Does spectacular work as a macro, and doubles as a very good portrait lens also.  

"Just an old boy, and his camera"

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I am not a big fan of any of the lenses you are thinking about. I generally don't like and don't buy EF-S lenses.

So I don't reccommend them to others either.

If I found myself in your shoes I would buy a EF 28-135mm f4-5.6 IS USM and the EF 70-200mm f4L IS.  These will work nicely on your 70D and they have the staying power, if and when, you decide to upgrade your camera, too.

EB
Announcements