cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tulip lens cuts off corners

Xain
Contributor

i have a t6i and i had gotten an altera tulip lense hood.  For some reason when i use the hood, it rounds out the corners of the picture when zoomed fully out.  I have the bigger petals on the top and bottom and the smaller ones on the sides.  It looks like the there is a ring inside the zoom lense i use that may seem to stop the hood from screwing on all the way.  Is the hood not a correct fit or am I missing something?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

"...nothing beats getting out and trying the things you see yourself."

I wholeheartedly agree with that.  Doing is learning.  Remember what you are doing is very important, too.  WHat works, what doesn't.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

ScottyP
Authority

Is an "Altera lens hood" an after market/3rd party product?  

Canon designs a lens lens hood for each lens it intends to have a hood.  Canon tailors the hood to the size and shape needed to stay out of the pictures. A 3rd party hood will be hit and miss in this regard. 

Are all4 corners showing black hood intrusions or is it just like the top left and the bottom right corners?  If it is two corners like that then the hood is probably not screwed on all the way but if it is all 4 corners then he hood is just the wrong shape/length for your lens. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Xain
Contributor
It's all 4 corners. It came as a 2 pack with a rubber lens hood. Didn't realize the possibility of not being the right shape or fit. Im on a tight budget so anything for the camera I try to find the most bang for the buck.

@Xain wrote:
It's all 4 corners. It came as a 2 pack with a rubber lens hood. Didn't realize the possibility of not being the right shape or fit. Im on a tight budget so anything for the camera I try to find the most bang for the buck.

It hurts when you are on a budget to find out you've wasted your money. Lens hoods are designed to work with specific focal lengths. A lens designed for a 85mm lens, won't work on an 35mm lens. Zoom lens hoods have to be designed to work at the widest focal length of the lens.

It's ok to buy 3rd party lenshoods, just be sure they are designed specifically for the lens you are buying them for.

Scott..  its from Digital Goja...  Firm based in florida.  They are an authorized canon reseller.  Good honest people too.  I purchased a canon lens from them last year.    

its Altura..

https://digitalgoja.com/

Izzy is the guy who does their youtube videos.  Nice and helpful guy

https://www.youtube.com/user/DigitalGojaUS

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" Is the hood not a correct fit or am I missing something?"

Most likely you have the wrong hood.  Send it back.  Sometimes cheap is not a bargin.

EB

Xain
Contributor
Thanks for all the info. I'm hoping to someday have a nice setup so all the input is greatly appreciated.

@Xain wrote:
Thanks for all the info. I'm hoping to someday have a nice setup so all the input is greatly appreciated.

A nice setup depends mostly on the skills of the photographer.

Your T6i is a very capable camera and Canon's STM kit lenses have great image quality, 

Or in other words you are well on your way to a nice setup. Before spending a bunch of money on gear focus on developing yourself as a photographer. That means getting out and taking photos regularly. There is a lot that can be learned on Youtube, I like Adorama TV, but, nothing beats getting out and trying the things you see yourself. 

Good luck, hopefully you can get that lens hood exchanged for one that is designed for your lens. 

"...nothing beats getting out and trying the things you see yourself."

I wholeheartedly agree with that.  Doing is learning.  Remember what you are doing is very important, too.  WHat works, what doesn't.

EB

Xain
Contributor
I'll have to look into the stm kit. I've gotten better with using the manual setting and do notice a difference between a picture taken on manual and one with an auto/preset setting. Thanks again.
Announcements