cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rf 55-210 mm - speck in lens

JakobeFoster08
Apprentice

how do i take apart my rf 55-210 mm lens, i’m somewhat new to photography and there’s a speck on the inside of my lens 

7 REPLIES 7

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

The short answer is DO NOT!   
The optics and electronics of a lens are built in a clean room that is highly protected from both static electricity and dust and the lens elements are very, very precisely aligned.  DIY repairs will inevitably result in the lens going to a technician to sort out the resulting mess and will not be covered by any warranty.   
Getting a spec of dust inside a non-environmentally protected lens, especially one that extends to zoom in and out, is perfectly normal and should not impact your images, because the innards  of the lens are well inside the minimum focusing distance and thus invisible to the lens.
What will appear on your images is dust on the image sensor, and you can reduce the risk of that by a couple of things:
1. Turn OFF the camera if changing lenses. Digital sensors are charged electrically when the camera is turned on, and left open to the world will attract dust.
2. When doing so, point the camera face downwards to avoid dust falling into the camera body.
3. If you are storing the camera without a lens attached, always replace the body cap that covers the lens mount and keep that free of dust.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Just because you can see the "speck" inside the lens does not indicate it will show up in any photo. Dust and such are generally out of focus (OOF).

"how do i take apart my rf 55-210 mm lens", just the thought of you needing to ask that question solidifies the fact you are not the person to do it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@JakobeFoster08 wrote:

how do i take apart my rf 55-210 mm lens, i’m somewhat new to photography and there’s a speck on the inside of my lens 

It's more rare not to have a speck inside a lens 😀

Set the camera to Av mode and manual focus. Set the aperture to f/16. Point the lens on a white/beige room wall with something in the edge of the image that you can focus on, maybe edge of a door frame. Focus manually and take a photo. Do you see the speck?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

It's more rare not to have a speck inside a lens 

Very true!

Many years ago when I had an EOS film camera, I purchased an "nifty fifty" from KEH graded "Ugly" for some too low to pass up price (maybe less than $15 with caps at the time?)

When I got the lens, it looked brand new except for a couple of dust specks that were visible inside the lens.  The dust specs didn't affect image quality at all and I really enjoyed using that lens.  It was sharp from wide open to minimum aperture.  When I sold the lens year later, I probably did so for 3X or more of what I paid for it.  In fact, I wish I would have kept the lens (and 1 or 2 others) because I bought an EF50mm f1.8 STM when I got back into photography years later.  

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

A book on digital photography said to point the camera down when changing lenses. Pointing it up opens the door for any kind of dust or crud floating in the air. At home, it's dog hair. Sticks to everything but the dogs!

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

Thanks for echoing my own advice on this issue below.  These simple measures can save a lot of frustration and some cost if not implemented and cannot be emphasized enough!

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

😀I know no one that does that. I never did nor do. Sometimes it can become more troublesome to use tools than fun. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements