cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

international lenses

fatcat
Rising Star

what is the difference in buying a lens that states it's an international lens.  How is the quality is it comparable?  The price is lower, just wondering if any of you know?  thz, L.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@fatcat wrote:

But if the warranty only lasts 12 mo. you're outta luck after that. anyway, unless, one has the "Gold" membership.  Guess I'll have to go look that up too.  Do allot of ppl here have that?

Okay thanks, L.

Here's more info on CPS membership.

http://www.cps.usa.canon.com/about_cps/about.shtml

It's designed for the professionals...even though, being professionals for CPS membership is measured by the amount of professional equipment you own, not by your ability to make a living via photography.

I used to have silver CPS membership (I qualified for platinum) but I let it slip.  I guess I've been lucky.  I have needed no services of any kind ever.  I have retired Canon equipment that still perform perfectly.  

You pay for gold and platinum and in return you receive repair discounts, free equipment checkups, cleaning and free equipment loans (you get to borrow cameras and lenses to try out for free - you pay shipping).

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

@fatcat wrote:

But if the warranty only lasts 12 mo. you're outta luck after that. anyway, unless, one has the "Gold" membership.  Guess I'll have to go look that up too.  Do allot of ppl here have that?

Okay thanks, L.

Here's more info on CPS membership.

http://www.cps.usa.canon.com/about_cps/about.shtml

It's designed for the professionals...even though, being professionals for CPS membership is measured by the amount of professional equipment you own, not by your ability to make a living via photography.

I used to have silver CPS membership (I qualified for platinum) but I let it slip.  I guess I've been lucky.  I have needed no services of any kind ever.  I have retired Canon equipment that still perform perfectly.  

You pay for gold and platinum and in return you receive repair discounts, free equipment checkups, cleaning and free equipment loans (you get to borrow cameras and lenses to try out for free - you pay shipping).

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

CPS--got it thanks, a bit of a cut above my league in that club.....lol   But that surely seems like a great idea for pros, or someone making YT videos.  How cool to be able to borrow equipment, sort of try b/4 you buy.  It's almost worth it to sign up for a yr. just for that esp. if you were in the market to buy some new stuff!

Thanks everyone for all the great input again.  You ALL are AWESOME!

L.

"Hey Biggs,

So what is the CPS membership, you pay for that?"

CPS is geared towards the pro that makes living with his camera.  I mentioned it solely because I wouldn't think it right to take advantage of their service and not use gear that Canon USA sells.  I doubt anyone that has replied to you, except me, has made or makes their living with a camera.  However, CPS doesn't ask so anyone can join.  Silver is free, Gold and Platinum is fee based.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

actually I went to the info site, thought I'd try signing up for the free one (silver) just for kicks, and they DO ask what your professional  affiliation is, how much gear you own, whats your specialty, landscape, advertising, ect .  They also ask who you work for, independent, free lance, newspaper, ect.... I stopped there since I am such a novice, and don't work  for anybody,  don't have a specialty or make any money at it...yet.

I know You're a professional, and I respect your opinion.  I think that CPS a great deal for a pro.  I would really enjoy those perks for maintenence if I had allot of equipment.  Not to mention the ability to try out new gear.  That is a great thing to try out some lenses or even some of the new cameras they come out with.  Makes you an expert when some novice like me asks a bunch of beginner questions.   In my case, if I can't even fill in the blanks on the registration so I may as well forget about it for now, free or not.  No maintenance or loaners on the freebie membership, just the newsletter and membership.

@fatcat wrote:

I agree buying something that expensive w/o a warranty is risky.  With my luck, it would break 2 days after it expired anyway, lol  Shipping to Japan is NOT cheap either!  I think ALL companies should repair their own products, regardless of "WHO" shipped it here.  Good companies shouldn't care as long as it's their product you're using, they should be the expert that can fix it, in my opinion.  If they loose out on $3-400. per item say, in the grey market, it's worth it to them to try and protect that profit margin and discourage that.  So I understand their reluctance to warranty also.  But if the warranty only lasts 12 mo. you're outta luck after that. anyway, unless, one has the "Gold" membership.  Guess I'll have to go look that up too.  Do allot of ppl here have that?

Probably. I do.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Miss Liz,

Now for the straight skinny on it!

There is no difference in the lenses.  The difference is that Canon USA did not import them.  There will be no Canon USA warranty but Canon in Japan will warranty it. The only difference is the Canon USA warranty card.  Canon USA will service it but it will cost you for the service.

It may not have an English manual.

I personally don't buy grey market. I have been a CPS member for a long time so it doesn't make sense for me.  Canon USA has been good to me over the years so I am happy to buy the real deal.

Their can be some issues wiht other brands if you buy a grey market version.  I believe it is still Sigma, Tamron and Tokina's policy that they will not service one even if you pay for it.  It was their policy at one time.  Nikon won't service them either.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements