cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hi looking for the best 250mm to 500mm lenses under or at 300 cad.

reid88
Apprentice

I'm working with a Canon eos rebel sl1 which is also called a Canon 100d or eos kiss x7 all depending where you live. I'm an amateur not that I don't have any experience, I went to pei recently and took many many photos and I take the camera basically anywhere I go but all while doing this I always wanted to get shots of stuff further away then I could actually get with the equipment I had. So any suggestions on a lens. I'm working on a budget so any under 300 cad. Ive been doing quite a bit of research and this is just my final push to see if I could find any other deals that are better then I have already found. I'm going to a zoo with friends soon too so I'm hoping I could get some good shots there with a long range lens.

3 REPLIES 3

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I have no idea what 300 cad is but the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens is a fine lens and it is $300 dollars. It will work nicely on a SL1. The problem with the SL1 is, it is so small that any real super zoom tele dwarfs it. Not an impossibility to work with just realize that fact. Kinda defeats the idea of a small DSLR if you put a super zoom on it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Once again, not knowing what 300 cad is, the best solution is one of the 150-600mm super zooms. Either Tamron G2 or Sigma C. They will look and feel and be huge on a SL1 but they are as good as it gets for the money.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

According to my research, using a currency converter, $300CaD is worth about $225US, which is not going to buy you the lens that Ernie suggests.  The only unit that I can possibly think of that fits your budget is the EF 75-300, which is not a brilliant optic, so get the MkIII version if you can.

Other lenses that might work, but are more expensive are:
EF-S 55-250 IS, STM or USM
EF 70-300 IS USM MkI 

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements