cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

chromatic aberration in my EOS 5D Mark IV with Tamron lens

stone58
Apprentice

Late last year I purchased a 5D Mark IV along with a Tamron 150-600 mm zoom . . . the new series. But my pictures aren't clear. I'm experiencing chromatic aberration as well as fuzziness around the subject when I am zoomed out to 600 mm. I have the current software on my camera. Is that a common phenomenon with that lens and camera? Are there "limits" or settings that I need to be aware of?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I use Adobe Lightroom which has two main values under its "Lens Corrections" section:

• Remove Chromatic Aberration
  • Enable Profile Correction

I don't use Canon's DPP application, so not sure what the equivalent would be or if DPP would provide corrections for third-party lenses.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Peter
Authority
Authority

Shoot raw and let the software in post remove CA.

what editing software do you recommend for that? I am new to that level of editing.

I use Adobe Lightroom which has two main values under its "Lens Corrections" section:

• Remove Chromatic Aberration
  • Enable Profile Correction

I don't use Canon's DPP application, so not sure what the equivalent would be or if DPP would provide corrections for third-party lenses.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Anything will probably work but DPP, as long as there is a lens profile.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi @stone58,

DPP does not support 3rd party lens correction.  Its a great free software but is limited to Canon glass.  

Adobe Lr is the industry standard, it is subscription based

I use DxO PhotoLab.  I could have gotten buy with DPP, but at the time I was using 3rd party glass and needed a application that provided this support.  Now after 6 yrs, I like it so much, I've just stuck with it.  Its price is very reasonable.  There is an essential and elite version.

Others like, CaptureOne, Topaz, etc can also work to remove CA with 3rd party lenses.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hey @shadowsports, thanks for the additional info . . . 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

There is the rest then there is Photoshop and Lightroom. If you can swing the 10 bucks a month for the PS/LR package it is the way to go. They are the industry standard which all others hope to be some day.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... my pictures aren't clear. I'm experiencing chromatic aberration as well as fuzziness around the subject when I am zoomed out to 600 mm."

Neither my Sigma 150-600mm nor my Tamron exhibit that. I might be inclined to send it to Tamron and complain about the excessive CA. Plus there should be no "fuzziness".

I was shooting the air show yesterday. Your photos should be like this. If they are not something s wrong.

_52D2544.jpg

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you . . . I have contacted Tamron and they do want me to send them the lens and camera. Hopefully that gets it fixed.

Announcements