cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom lens for concert photography

JaggerLegend
Apprentice

Hey everyone, For the past few years I've been doing some concert photography here and there and was happy in using primes (50mm 1.8 and 80mm 1.8) on my canon 200D. As these primes can take in a lot of light on the dark stages at which concerts take place. These lenses are rather narrow on a cropped sensor, and I would like to be able to take wider shots in the dark. What would be a good wide-angle zoom lens that takes in a lot of light for use at concerts? Budget is somewhere around the 500-750€ range and I don't mind getting a second hand lens.

4 REPLIES 4

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

The EF 24-70 f2.8 has long been a favorite of mine and it should do a good job in the range that you need.  The EF 16-35 f2.8 gives you a wider angle at the expense of less at the other end and for most of what I shoot isn't as versatile a range. 

I have a lot of L series primes and zooms and pretty much everywhere I take the cameras, the 24-70 and 70-200 will be at least in the bag if not on a camera body.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Not cheap (though didn't look at used prices), and still a prime, but there's the EF 24mm f/1.4 L.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Oh, man there is a perfect lens for you.  The lens you need is the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens. Less than half the cost of the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens and made especially for your camera and will perform just as well. Another choice if f2.8 isn't fast enough might be the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens. Possibly the sharpest zoom lens made in this range.

I have no idea how the cost of these relate to your money so that part is up to you but these two choice are top notch.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... was happy in using primes (50mm 1.8 and 80mm 1.8) on my canon 200D."

Personally I would refrain from using prime lenses for this type of work. Actually for just about all types of photography.  They are just too limiting and only offer speed which is now no  longer an issue either.  They can't even boast IQ any more. If I can do a shoot with one lens that is the way to go. Carrying a bag full of primes doesn't help.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements