cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom Touch adjustment Ring on 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6l is usm question

jblooo
Contributor

We upgraded to the 100-400L and was AMAZED at the quality increase  over our old lens. So much so we decided that we needed to replace or wider lens as well. We just bought the 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6l is usm and took it out ofr a test run yesterday.

Short story... Do I REALLY have to let go of the camera body and hold onto the lens with both hands to adjust the zoom touch adjustment ring?

Longer version. I carry the camera on my chest facing down. A quick release allows me quick access to shoot. But the lens needs to be tightened down to keep it from expanding on it's own. My old lens had a simple lock it could unlock with the flick of a finger with one hand. The 100-400 has a ring to twist. Slower but still functional.

With the 28-300., it seems I have to remove the camera, let go of the camera body so I can place both hands on the lens to turn 2 rings in opposite directions, then return one hand to the camera body. At first I thought this was so ridiculous that I must have a defective lens. I checked the manual and it seems this is the case.

Not only is this extremely slow but also risky. Swithcing between holding the camera body to just holding the lens and then back again, expecially when trying to be quick, 100 times a day seems like a good way to drop a camera. Surely canon didn't design it this way. I'm stunned.

Can somebody please tell me I've got something wrong and there is a better way to do this?

The images I was able to get looked great.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide. Even if it's "yes" that's the design.

2 REPLIES 2

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Seems to be "Yes".

Screenshot 2021-03-14 114101.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Even if it's "yes" that's the design."

Yes I believe that is the way it is. I don't have that particular lens but I did have anther Canon lens that had that design.

"So much so we decided that we needed to replace or wider lens as well."

This is extremely odd to me. You want a wider angle lens so you bought the EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM Lens! Hmm, well I guess it is wider but certainly not a choice I would have made. I have never been a fan of very large zoom rations.  They are always a compromise on IQ. Big and heavy, too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements