cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why I am considering Sony

Bazsl
Rising Star

I have been a long-time Canon user. If I switch to Sony I can have a kit that stretches from 20mm to 400mm full frame and weighs about 4.5 pounds (A7R5 body, 20mm-70mm, 70-200 f4.0, 2x extender). By intentionally designing the 70-200mm f4.0 so I cannot use an extender (unlike the EF version) you have made Sony very attractive for someone who has to hike with their gear. I also shoot outdoor events (rodeos for example) that require a range of focal lengths from 100-400mm to 200-800mm. With my EF 100-400mm and 1.4x and 2.0x extenders I can do that. Since the RF 100-500mm can't use extenders (without essentially turn it into a prime) Canon offers no way to meet my needs. I would love to know why Canon has abandoned people with my needs after providing excellent lenses for my needs in the EF system. By the way, I know a number of photographers with the same needs I have and they have all switched to Sony. Sorry for the rant but I can't explain how disappointed I am in the RF lens system.

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

There was a long thread on Canon Rumors where people went back and forth on who likes which lens and why.  The external zoom design of the new RF 70-200 f4 and F2.8 or the old EF versions.  I have both EF 70-200 f2.8 mkII & RF 70-200 f2.8.  I really like the compact size of the RF version over the internal EF model.  I don't plan to go back.  Granted my 1.4x TC only makes it out once a year if he's lucky.  So non-issue for me.  

The RF 100-400 supports 1.4x and 2.0x TC's throughout the full focal range.  Its a nice light lens too. 

shadowsports_0-1711824930140.png

The RF 100-500 supports 1.4x and 2.0x TC's in the 300-500mm range.

If you can wait a bit.  I believe its possible we will see a RF 70-200mm mkII Internal Zoom which will support 1.4/2.0x TCs.  Rumor for now, but we did get the RF 24-105 f2.8 Z with Internal Zoom. 

I also would not sell your Canon gear as I believe you might find the grass isn't greener on the other side of the fence.  You may decide to come back if you get tired of cutting your hands open on all those sharp corners.  Seriously though.  Buy what makes you happy and use what works for you.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

“ . With my EF 100-400mm and 1.4x and 2.0x extenders I can do that. “

And you still can with an R series body.  There is nothing stopping you from using the most recent Canon EF lenses and teleconverters.  

Most of the older lenses work just as well as they did on EF mount DSLRs, if not better.  The downside is that some older lenses are not able to take full advantage of the newer, advanced AF tracking and focusing features. They were never designed to track eyeballs and things. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

“ I have been a long-time Canon user. If I switch to Sony I can have a kit that stretches from 20mm to 400mm full frame and weighs about 4.5 pounds (A7R5 body, 20mm-70mm, 70-200 f4.0, 2x extender). “

A7R5?  Go for it, if you want a maximum frame rate of 10 fps for action photography.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

We of course, are just users and have no control over Canon's roadmap. If you want this to be heard by the right people, send official feedback:

Feedback.jpg

On the Canon USA homepage.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" Buy what makes you happy and use what works for you."

This is the key point whether it is Canon or Sony. My stock answer for folks that complain that the gear is too heavy, too bulky or other complaints is, you need to chose a different hobby or profession. Now if another manufacturer makes what will work for you then that's the way to solve the problem. Don't think Sony or Nikon or any camera  doesn't come with issues and quirks. however, because they do perhaps different ones but they will be there.

The fact remains Canon has the best selection of lenses in the world with the EF line and RF line and it will remain that way. I imagine you and us have only seen the beginnings to what the RF line will have. Its too bad the Powershot line is virtually gone, if not gone, since there were some superb models like the G3x Mk III. Extremely capable and very light at almost pocketable. Perfect for backpackers.

Consider who would have thought you could get a Canon 800mm lens for less than ten grand? Yes, it is an f11 but its under a grand and it weighs in at under 3 pounds with IS to boot.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements