cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Third party lens for Canon RP

talrejakit
Apprentice

I recently bought a Canon RP body and I am looking to buy lens either Canon RF 24-70 mm F2.8 L or Canon RF 28-70 mm F2 L but couldn’t find any deals at the moment. Is there any 3rd party lens which can used instead of the above lens?

8 REPLIES 8

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

There aren't currently any 3rd Party Full Frame RF Mount lenses. Several companies have announced 3rd Party RF-S lenses. But those lenses haven't been released yet. If you want 3rd Party Full Frane lenses. Your only choice is older EF Mount lens. But then who knows about compatibility. It may or may not be compatible with the new EOS R series lineup of cameras. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

B&H has deals on both of these lenses which are in stock right now. 

3rd party RF lenses are coming as Demetrius pointed out but we still have a ways to go.  Both Sigma and Tamron have reached licensing agreements with Canon.

You can also check the Canon refurbished store.  There are also used options from KEH, B&H, and Adorama.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

March411
Rising Star

talrejakit,

You can also look at purchasing the EF to RF adapter for $129 which will allow you to use EF glass on your RP. I owned a fairly deep line of EF lenses, both Canon and 3rd party and they perform as will as my RF lenses.

It will give you some additional options and possibly save a few dollars.

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!

90D ~ 5D Mark IV ~ R6 Mark II ~ R50 and way to many EF lenses
Photoshop and Topaz Suite for image processing
http://commonhangout.com/piwigo/

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

As noted by my colleagues, there are at this time no 3rd party lenses for FF sensors, and I would not recommend using RF-S lenses.  You could just wait until you get a deal, or a 3rd-party offering is available (which may take some time), or bite the bullet and just get a FF RF lens - they are awesome optics.   Given you are using the RP, which does not have IBIS, the suggestion by @March411 to get a EF L-series and use an adapter has some merit.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

justadude
Rising Star
Rising Star

Adding to what both March411 and Trevor said about the EF to RF adaptor...

Make sure you buy a Canon brand adaptor.  This is one item you don't want to go third party on due to some brands having various issues.

The adaptors are great for the EF series lenses.  I've been using mine since 2019 on the RP and recently on the R6 Mark ll, and it works perfectly on these older EF lenses.

Another bonus with the adaptor - You can get inexpensive adaptor plates to add on top of the EF/RF adaptor from B&H for $10-$25 range to use older film lenses on the RP.  I currently have two - one for Pentax K-Mount lenses, and one for older M42 screw type lenses.  While you will lose the electronics, and have to use manual focus (which is easier than it sounds), these old lenses have a lot of character and are fun to shoot with.  While there are some clunkers out there, many of the old lenses create beautiful images, and can be found dirt cheap.  I'm just offering that up as a way to find some good deals.  I find I use my film lenses on my R series bodies just as often as I use my RF lenses.

Gary

Digital: Canon R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various RF, EF, and Rokinon lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax K1000, Pentax K2000, Miranda DR, Zenit 12XP, Kodak Retina Automatic II, Kodak Duaflex III, and various lenses

March411
Rising Star

Couldn't agree more Gary but I found out the hard way and tried a 3rd party adapter and it was anything but pleasant!

From personal experience, the Canon adapters are the only way to go if you want seamless use of EF glass.

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!

90D ~ 5D Mark IV ~ R6 Mark II ~ R50 and way to many EF lenses
Photoshop and Topaz Suite for image processing
http://commonhangout.com/piwigo/

Actually, that's what I stated at the beginning of my reply.  Canon brand for the EF to RF adaptor.  However for the adaptor plates that fit on top of the Canon brand EF to RF adaptor so you can use old film lenses, those plates are always third party.  Doesn't matter though because the film lenses will be 100% manual.

Gary

Digital: Canon R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various RF, EF, and Rokinon lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax K1000, Pentax K2000, Miranda DR, Zenit 12XP, Kodak Retina Automatic II, Kodak Duaflex III, and various lenses

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

The OP never established a budget.  Both of the RF lenses mentioned are currently $300-$500 off list.  Not sure what constitutes a "deal".  In the long term, RF is a better option.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements