cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sigma lens doesn't fit on EOS 4000D

Skymans
Apprentice

Hiya, I have a canon eos 4000d and just bought a sigma macro lens for canon, mini-wide 2 1:2.8 f= 28mm, and it doesn't fit? I know there are some adapters out there but I'm unsure if they would work or which one to buy if there is one. Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

normadel
Authority
Authority

Someone gave you a bum steer. The Sigma Mini-Wide you just bought (if it is for Canon cameras), is an FD-mount lens for manual-focus film cameras.There ARE adapters to mount an FD lens on EOS cameras, but they are not recommended by anyone who knows about Canon equipment. 

I'll spare the technical explanation about flange distances etc.  These adapters act like extension tubes for closeup work, so in order for them to provide for infinity focus they require a glass lens element and these are not of good optical quality. Some of them have removable elements, but doing that means no distance/infinity focus ability.

And in addition, you lose any automation....aperture, focusing, communication with the camera....etc. Return the Sigma if you can and invest in an EF or EF-S mount lens.

The only good use for an FD-to-EF (or EF-S) adapter is with a mirror lens. Mirror lenses focus PAST the infinity point, so you could still do infinity-distance work. I have an old 500mm. manual mirror lens that works nicely on my EOS cameras when I want to screw around with manual exposure control, which is rarely.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

The Sigma “Mini Wide” 28mm f/2.8 is a film era, manual focus, manual aperture, lens that was made in many different lens mounts. 

In order to find the correct adapter, you need to determine which lens mount is on your lens. If you could post a photo of the lens mount of your lens, we may be able to identify it for you.

Mike Sowsun

normadel
Authority
Authority

Someone gave you a bum steer. The Sigma Mini-Wide you just bought (if it is for Canon cameras), is an FD-mount lens for manual-focus film cameras.There ARE adapters to mount an FD lens on EOS cameras, but they are not recommended by anyone who knows about Canon equipment. 

I'll spare the technical explanation about flange distances etc.  These adapters act like extension tubes for closeup work, so in order for them to provide for infinity focus they require a glass lens element and these are not of good optical quality. Some of them have removable elements, but doing that means no distance/infinity focus ability.

And in addition, you lose any automation....aperture, focusing, communication with the camera....etc. Return the Sigma if you can and invest in an EF or EF-S mount lens.

The only good use for an FD-to-EF (or EF-S) adapter is with a mirror lens. Mirror lenses focus PAST the infinity point, so you could still do infinity-distance work. I have an old 500mm. manual mirror lens that works nicely on my EOS cameras when I want to screw around with manual exposure control, which is rarely.

Thanks for the information! It was an old cheap antique store buy so I kind of expected this to be honest, I'll keep the lens safe though for when I properly dive into film photography, I have dipped my toes into the field but currently it's a bit too expensive of a hobby for me to keep right now. Do you know what film camera it's for by any chance? 

You expected a cheap old antiques store, honest or not,  to even know anything about it? 

It is for ANY Canon manual-focus film SLR camera, which all use FD-mount lenses. It is NOT for any EOS autofocus film or digital camers.

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

Unfortunately "for Canon" is garbage.  Your camera has an EF-S lens mount, and can take EF-S or EF lenses.  Saying a lens is "for Canon" means that the lens is EF, or EF-S, or RF, or RF-S, or EF-M, or FD, or FL, or whatever.  But you don't know which.  So don't ever buy anything listed as "for Canon" -- if they don't know what they're selling, you shouldn't be buying.  A bit late for you though, sorry...

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I know there are some adapters out there but I'm unsure if they would work or which one to buy if there is one.

Any suggestions?"

Yes, I have one return it or two make a coffee mug out of it. Wait that's two suggestions. Bottom line it ain't worth trying to adapt it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements