cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rf 800mm f11 lens compatibility with EOS Rebel T6i

Nikolesowder
Apprentice

I have the eos rebel t6i and I’ve been wanting to start doing wildlife photography, I seen that the rf 800mm f11 was a good lens to get close ups for a decent price. Would I be able to use it with my camera ? 

4 REPLIES 4

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

No.  An RF lens requires an R-series camera.  Your camera can only work with EF and EF-S lenses.  And, it's not possible for there to exist an adapter that would allow RF lenses to work with EF-mount cameras.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

No RF lenses aren't compatible with any of Canon's DSLR cameras. It is also not physically possible to adapt the lens either. RF lenses have to physically sit closer to the image sensor. But in a DSLR camera the mirror is in the way so its not possible. EF lenses can be adapted to the EOS R series mirrorless cameras. This is because the adapter puts an EF lens at the correct distance from the image sensor. Since EF lenses were designed to sit further away from the image sensor due to the reflex mirror and optical viewfinder system. Lens compatibilty .pngLens Compatibilty PT. 1.png

MirrorlessVSDSLR-Image1.jpg

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

As others noted, there is no way to make the lens compatible.  And even if there was, a lens with a wide open aperture of f11 isn't going to be good for wildlife unless you have good lighting, a sensor that performs very well at high ISO, or a subject that is willing to pose for you.  Your t6i doesn't have great noise performance at high ISO so you don't want to put it into situations requiring operation in low light with a lens that is "slow" in terms of light performance and shutter speed must be fairly high to freeze motion.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Look at one of the Tamron or Sigma 150-600mm super zooms. Another great lens for the T6i is the now discontinued but available used is the Canon ef 400mm f5.6L  Another is the ef 300mm IS f4L with the 1.4x tel-con.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements