cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF70-200mm F2.8 L IS USM Can't register a $3k lens!

Chipperi
Apprentice

I'm furious! Back in June I bought a new RF 70-200 is usm f 2.8 L lense from B&H. I had a death in the family and completely forgot to register it. So tonight I log on to try to register it and I keep getting errors. It tells me the date must be in the past...6/29/22 is in the past??? And it don't like the serial number which I entered right off the card and went and checked the side of the lense to be certain. Still no luck. So I call the support number and the computer asks me for the product name which I read from the card...it can't understand and thinks I am calling about a printer! Until it politely tells me to shove off and try again later! So here I sit with my lense still not registered. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Chipperi
Apprentice

I got it to work...apparently their website doesn't play nice with the Android OS but it worked on my PC this morning. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You clearly have a problem but this is user public forum and not part of Canon support. Here is what I would do, first call B&H. Make sure you don't have a gray market lens. A gray market lens can't be registered with Canon USA. (most likely)

If it is a Canon USA product call 1 (800) 652-2666 and tell them your issue.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Chipperi
Apprentice

That's the problem I cant even get past the computer to talk to support. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Call  B&H first. Make sure you bought a Canon USA lens. You can't proceed until you are positive. 

EB

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I purchased 3 lenses from B&H within the last few months.  

shadowsports_0-1673452465977.png

I had to remove some stuff.

The registration date should be your order date.  Notice on my invoice the dates are different.  This is because I ordered while B&H was observing a holiday.  The order shipped nearly a week later.

Serial number.  Start at the right and count back 10 characters.  This is the serial number the registration system should accept.  XXXXxxxxxxxxxx  the ones in red.  

CarePaks work the same way.  Use the order date.  

Here you can see the lens registered S/N ending in xxxxxxx397

shadowsports_2-1673453032283.png

If the lens has a USA warranty card, that probably indicates its not gray market.  Read carefully.  B&H doesn't sell gray market items, but a supplier could be duped I suppose.  Pretty doubtful however.  They don't mess around.

Yes, Canon's automated phone system can be a bit challenging.  It doesn't do well all of the time.  I've had challenges myself.  Hope it helps.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" B&H doesn't sell gray market items, ..."

Oh, but it does, my friend, from the B&H web site............. 

B&H sells most products with a warranty from the manufacturer or from the manufacturer's licensed importer. We also sell some products we've obtained from sources other than the manufacturer or its licensed importer. These are "grey market" products. "Grey market" is not illegal, not factory seconds, not demo merchandise, not cheaper or inferior products. In fact in almost every instance a "grey market" product is absolutely identical to its US-warranted counterpart. 

It is once again a situation where you must read all the info and fine print. B&H does not try to hide any of its gray market products but it can be missed if you don't read carefully.

EB

Chipperi
Apprentice

I got it to work...apparently their website doesn't play nice with the Android OS but it worked on my PC this morning. 

Announcements