cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF 35mm 1.8 not focusing past fifty feet

natshootsfilm
Apprentice

I have an rf 35mm 1.8 Macro lens that isn't focusing on anything past fifty feet. I've tried in both manual and auto focusing modes. The focusing square will remain red in auto mode, and the entirety of the screen is blurry when using manual. It'll lock focus at about thirty feet, and those images are soft. It has no problem with anything closer than thirty feet. I'm using an r6, and I've tried the lens on two different bodies. The firmware in the lens and cameras is all up to date. I've cleaned the contacts. The issue hasn't resolved, and the lens is no longer under warranty. Are there any other remedies I can try? Very disappointed in this product.

8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Yeah, looks like there is a problem inside that limits the focus travel. It probably needs to be repaired.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I have an rf 35mm 1.8 Macro lens that isn't focusing on anything past fifty feet."

On an R6 isn't everything pretty much in focus with a 35mm lens even at f1.8 at 50 feet? At f2.8 it should be infinite.

" It has no problem with anything closer than thirty feet."

And, these images look perfectly OK? I am leaning more to an alignment problem then a focus issue. When was the lens dropped or banged against? Even just a little!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you for this insight. The lens hasn't been dropped. Anything closer than 30 feet is sharp. Is there anything I could do to troubleshoot and alignment issue?

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Are there any filters installed on the lens?  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

There are no filters on the lens.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Is there anything I could do to troubleshoot and alignment issue?"

No, there is nothing you can do to fix that. However sounds unlikely since you said, "Anything closer than 30 feet is sharp." This is confusing because it doesn't make sense. The hyper focal distance should come in to play here.

Lets think at around 35 feet you set critical focus point and you set your 50mm lens to f8 for example. Everything from around 15 feet to infinity will be in focus. In this case the hyper focus point is 35 feet. Now of course this hyper focal distance changes as aperture changes but at some setting and distance everything should be in focus.

Or are you saying if you focus on a subject that is say 60 feet away the lens will not focus on it? It just hunts back and forth or doesn't move at all?

EB

Thank you for this explanation. My distances are all approximate. Subjects at around 30 feet are interpreted as "in focus" by the camera with the green focal square (and the ability to fire the shutter), but they are soft. Subjects at 50 ft and beyond, the lens doesn't even hunt or move, it's just a red focusing square, the shutter won't fire, and everything is out of focus. With subjects closer than approximately 30 ft, the lens operates as normal. Same situation with manual focus, but I'm able to fire the shutter even though focus isn't attained.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

OK as you noticed these two things, " The firmware in the lens and cameras is all up to date. I've cleaned the contacts." rarely to never help or work and a FW update on a malfunctioning camera is a bad idea. So that is not surprising.

First thing to do is a full reset of the R6. Second thing is to try each with a different camera and/or lens. Remember the lens does and can do nothing until the camera tells it to. The lens does not focus the camera tells it when it is in focus.

I did not quite get if you said the lens will focus in manual when you physically move it yourself. If it doesn't I think you found the problem. That indicates a call to Canon for repair 1 (800) 652-2666. But before you do anything do a full reset on the R6. Check your manual for instructions. Set the R8 to P mode and One shot never use any focus assist mode for testing the lens. Now try it. Success, yay, no happiness, boo. 1 (800) 652-2666

EB
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements