cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF 24-105 mm f4L lens or 35mm, 50mm, 85mm prime?

zedmo
Apprentice

I'm looking to complete my RF lens collection (at least for now that is) and currently have the RF 50mm f1.8 and the 85mm f1.8. I want something wider, so I'm thinking of either adding the 35mm 1.8 or getting the 24-105 f4L when it goes on sale a bit later in the year. It'd be nice to have the extended range down to 24mm and up to 105mm, but how is the image quality compared to the lenses I would have if I had the 35mm, the 50mm, and the 85mm? I don't currently own a zoom, so really don't know if it's something I'd like, and if the size of it might discourage me using it. That said, the L designation and the better build quality, better AF as well as being a do-it-all lens do appeal to me.

4 REPLIES 4

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

We can give you our own opinions, but they will likely vary with each person.   What I would suggest is to borrow or rent a 24-105 lens for a test to gauge for yourself its suitability for your purposes.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

justadude
Rising Star
Rising Star

I am very impressed with the image quality of the RF 24-105, and it is NOT part of the L series.  I imagine the L version is better yet.  I can't comment on the 85mm, but owning the 35mm and 50mm, the image on this "lower end" 24-105mm lens is just as good as the primes - even when enlarged to 200% and compared side by side on my Mac screen.  Knowing what I know now from hands on experience, even in difficult lighting situations, I would not hesitate to purchase the 24-105 instead of the 35mm prime.  

If you want something wide, and nice, and at a good price, the Rokinon 14mm F/2.8 with the Canon mount are great lenses for ultra wide.  Great for night skies.  

Gary

Digital: Canon R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various RF, EF, and Rokinon lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax K1000, Pentax K2000, Miranda DR, Zenit 12XP, Kodak Retina Automatic II, Kodak Duaflex III, and various lenses

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Unless you have a specific need for a really fast lens I recommend the 24-105mm f4 zoom. In 2024 the really only reason to go primes is for a faster aperture as Gary stated the IQ is so close as to be moot. Zooms are so good these days primes have lost a lot of their glory. Plus the faster aperture is slowly diminishing as well.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"What I would suggest is to borrow or rent a 24-105 lens ..."

I am not a fan nor do I recommend anyone rent this type lens. The price point between buying and renting isn't in your favor. The money you waste on renting could have been put towards buying your own lens. Borrow one if you can but the bottom line is the zoom is going to be far more useable for GP photography.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements