cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF 200-800mm How to set up dual functionality on the control ring

mdougc
Enthusiast

The control ring is supposed to be dual purpose - AF and another function that you customize in the settings. Has anybody tried that? I can't get it to do anything but focus.

However, I customized the button to cycle across AF methods. That is really handy.

Great lens - sharp, fast focus even in low light.

mDougC
Wildlife photographer - EOS R, R5 many lenses, LR Classic, Topaz, necessary gadgets
7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi mdougc,

Can you let us know what camera your lens is connected to please?

Thanks

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Sorry.  EOS R5 with firmware v1.9

mDougC
Wildlife photographer - EOS R, R5 many lenses, LR Classic, Topaz, necessary gadgets

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The Control Ring on the lens can be programmed to the following functions on the R5.

Set AF<Control>MF switch on the lens to Control

shadowsports_0-1708558130373.png

See C.Fn3 for dial programming options

Canon : Product Manual : EOS R5 : Custom Function Setting Items (start.canon)

Hope this helps 😀

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you!

That's all there is to it?  So it doesn't matter how you program the button.
Why don't they publish a user guide for this?

mDougC

Also, how did the subject line on my original post get changed?

mDougC

Not by us. Either the moderator or an algorithm?

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

mdougc
Enthusiast

If anyone is interested, I finally found the user's guide for this lens on Canon / Australia.
It is not available on Canon / USA.

RF200-800mm F6.3-9 IS USM Instructions | Canon Australia

mDougC
Announcements