cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R8 With RF-50 1.8 Auto Focus Inoperative In Manual Modes

elmo
Contributor

I have a new R8 and when I first installed a new RF-50, the AF wasn't working in any Manual camera modes. Only MF is displayed when I tried switching focus modes. But the AF was working fine when I switched to Auto mode or in to Video mode. I rechecked AF with my other lenses and they all worked fine in all modes. I did a camera reset and AF started working in any Manual modes. But when I made any changes to the camera settings like dial functions, AF stops working on the RF-50 again in any Manual modes. There doesn't seem to be firmware updates for either the lens or the R8 at this time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Performing a firmware update may have reset the camera. When I performed a camera reset, that menu came up. It didn't show up before the reset.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Is there and AF/MF switch on the front of the camera body?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

elmo
Contributor

No, there's a Focus/Control switch for the ring on the lens. It doesn't matter which position it is in until I performed a camera reset.

Sorry, the switch is on the lens.

For lenses WITHOUT an AF/MF on them. The focus mode must be changed via the camera menu. Not lens itself. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Oh, I mentioned it in the OP. When AF is not working, only MF is the option.

Reset the camera and custom functions back to factory default.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Yes, that's what I did. But if I make changes to settings, AF is inop again until I reset. But none of the other RF lenses have any issues.

Do those lenses have an AF/MF switch on them.

-Demetrius

This is a photo fo the RF 50mm f/1.8 STM.  

E6E0E184-4F5D-4BDF-93AD-16C1D40A74F1.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements