cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R8 With RF-50 1.8 Auto Focus Inoperative In Manual Modes

elmo
Contributor

I have a new R8 and when I first installed a new RF-50, the AF wasn't working in any Manual camera modes. Only MF is displayed when I tried switching focus modes. But the AF was working fine when I switched to Auto mode or in to Video mode. I rechecked AF with my other lenses and they all worked fine in all modes. I did a camera reset and AF started working in any Manual modes. But when I made any changes to the camera settings like dial functions, AF stops working on the RF-50 again in any Manual modes. There doesn't seem to be firmware updates for either the lens or the R8 at this time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Performing a firmware update may have reset the camera. When I performed a camera reset, that menu came up. It didn't show up before the reset.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

I asked the OP about there other lenses if they had a dedicated AF/MF switch on them. The AF/MF switch would override the camera body's Focus Mode Menu item (ie its not displayed). But a lens without an AF/MF switch should display the "Focus Mode" menu item under the AF 1 menu tab. If this is set to MF the lens won't AF at all.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

elmo
Contributor

The RF 100-400 has an AF/MF switch. The RF 24-50 has an AF/Control/MF switch.

With the RF 50 F/1.8 STM does the camera menu show this option below.Screenshot 2023-05-03 182017.pngScreenshot 2023-05-03 182225.png

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

elmo
Contributor

OK, so the Focus/Control switch only switches what the ring does. To either focus or control a user defined parameter like ISO or exposure. It didn't matter if AF was working or not. Right now everything seems to be working. So even when the switch is on Focus, the AF works normally, and you can still use the ring to manual focus or switch it to Control and use it to control ISO etc. When AF wasn't working, the options on these 2 screens only had MF displayed and no other options.Screenshot5-3-2023_8-28-28-PM.jpgScreenshot5-3-2023_8-28-51-PM.jpg 

So you're saying that the focus mode menu option never appears with the RF 50mm F/1.8 STM lens mounted. Even when AF is working normally. So the picture above in my last post you don't see that option. In the AF 1 Tab at all. 

-Demetrius

elmo
Contributor

Yes, what you see in my post is when AF is working correctly. Only MF shows up with no other options when AF was not working until I performed a reset. There were no debris on the mount contacts for either the lens or camera when it was happening. But so far, I made some setting changes and AF has been working after the second reset.

NielsRa
Contributor

I got the same problem on R7 with the same lense. On my RP it works and a  freind have a R7 and it works? 
I did renset my camera, but I still have the problem. Only MF …. ?

BR Niels
Canon RP, R7, RF-L lenses.

Did your friend try your lens or does he have is own? Is he on the same firmware? Is there a firmware update for the R7? Does your lens autofocus in video mode?

Alec
Apprentice

I resolved this issue for myself.

I came here because I had the same issue. I have an R8 and just bought the 50mm 1.8 lens, only to find that I couldn't switch to autofocus when I was in any shooting mode other than "auto".

Solution: There is another option on the bottom of the first page of the AF tab in the menu called "Focus Mode". This allows you to switch between AF and MF.

Note that I updated the firmware to 1.1.0. I don't know if this is what gave me this additional option, or if it was there the whole time and I just missed it...

Performing a firmware update may have reset the camera. When I performed a camera reset, that menu came up. It didn't show up before the reset.

Announcements