cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on suitability of EF 70-200MM F/2.8L IS II USM for "travel" photography.

Edkumi
Apprentice

Hello. I am looking to add an additional lens to my travel kit. My basic camera is a Canon 80D fitted with an EF-S 17-55mm f2.8. Also have a 70-300mm which give so-so results. Also a kit lens, and wide angle. 

Question: Is a 70-200mm Lens f2.8 or f4.0 suitable for Scenery or Street Photography?  The first test of the lens will be Athens, Greece, followed by Santorini. I am looking for higher quality photographs. If you have recommendations on an alternative lens, please suggest.

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

There is no better lens! It will be a bit heavier but well worth it. It is my second most used lens after my EF 24-70mm f2.8L.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Aurora4233
Contributor

The RF 70-200 f2.8 is a favorite, could never be disappointed but if you are truly talking 'travel' try to get your hands on both the 2.8 and the 4.0 because I think you'll be surprised with the size and weight difference.  2.8 is buttery beautiful but make sure it's something you want to carry if mobility is a primary motivator.  If size/weight are no issue get the 2.8 like yesterday.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The RF series of lenses are not compatible with EF mount DSLRs.

The EF 70-200mm II is a great lens.  It would not be my first choice for “street” photography with an APS-C sensor body camera.  Your EF-S 17-55mm could fill that role very well.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I agree that 70mm on a crop sensor body is rather long for street photography.

If your primary use would be scenery/landscape photography I would suggest the f/4L version of the lens. Much lighter and for your use you wouldn't really need f/2.8 capability. The f/4 version is equally sharp compared to the f/2.8; some would claim sharper.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Aurora4233
Contributor

Woops... Was looking at these late last night and completely missed the EF... Alas

Announcements