cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Play in Canon RF 100-500 Tripod collar

Gwenniedi
Apprentice

I’ve had a significant problem with slippage of the newly designed tripod collar. Specifically the RF 100-500 lens. (But also RF 70-200 2.8) i took the 100-500 into Canon repair. They had to replace the collar but when I picked it up I was told expect some play in it.  🤔 🙄 I assume many have had the same problem. Does the community know of a fix?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Gwenniedi,

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with the tripod collar on your lenses. It is normal for there to be some play in the tripod collar to allow some movement of the collar and lens when they are being transported. That helps reduce the chance of the tripod collar and lens barrel getting damaged. So if you hold the lens in place and move the tripod collar you would see some play there.

When you have the tripod collar mounted on a tripod, position the camera and lens in the orientation you want, and tighten the lock screw the lens should stay in place in that case. Is the issue you're having that you try to lock in the orientation of the lens, but the lens is still rotating even with the lock engaged?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Gwenniedi,

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with the tripod collar on your lenses. It is normal for there to be some play in the tripod collar to allow some movement of the collar and lens when they are being transported. That helps reduce the chance of the tripod collar and lens barrel getting damaged. So if you hold the lens in place and move the tripod collar you would see some play there.

When you have the tripod collar mounted on a tripod, position the camera and lens in the orientation you want, and tighten the lock screw the lens should stay in place in that case. Is the issue you're having that you try to lock in the orientation of the lens, but the lens is still rotating even with the lock engaged?

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I own both of these lenses also.  I've not had the retention or shifting issues described by others.  The collars are slightly different.  The ways the cams engage on the clasps.  You should check these before each use for your own piece of mind.  Please provide answers to Hazel_T's questions when you have a chance 😉

The collar retention on my 70-200 is super snug.  Its so tight that I would have to put an undesired (excessive) amount of force on the lens for it to rotate.  

My 100-500 is slightly less snug, but still holds without rotating.  It has a slightly different pads inside the collar which I can tell will eventually compress to the point where I may want to replace them.

Canon has a great parts dept. 

Canon Parts Dept
Canon Parts Order Desk at (866) 481-2569
Weekdays from 9 AM - 7 PM, ET.

Lenses have a 1 yr warranty (including the collar) and if you have a CarePak, even longer.  Don't hesitate to ask for help if you think something isn't working like you think it should.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Gwenniedi
Apprentice

I still have issues with the slippage. Not as bad as before. Previously there was almost no lock and the collar just turned. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

If the collar is properly engaged and tight, I'd follow the suggestions I provided.  Contact support for inspection and evaluation, or inquire about replacement pads.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

mikeaff
Contributor

I had ordered the replacement pads and wanted to know if you remove the original pads or just put the new pads over them.  I just spent 30 minutes on the phone with Canon "tech support" and they couldn't answer the question.  They also told me that Illinois is not a "right to repair state" so they weren't sure they could give me the instructions even if they had them.  Ridiculous.  Does anyone know if you remove the original pads or just apply the new pads right over them? Thanks

Mike

Announcements