cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On the fence.....

inkjunkie
Enthusiast

....on which 24-70 f/2.8 lens to get. How does one decide, flipping a coin? Looking at either the Sigma 24-70 DG OS HSM Art & the Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L II USM. Have read a few reviews on the Sigma that mention a few issues with softness at certain lengths. I realize that in any thing that is mass produced an occasional "bad apple" will fall from the tree.

I like that the Sigma has image stabilization.....but I ever since deciding I was going to get a full frame body I have switched the IS off of my every day lens on my T7i and have not noticed any blurred images so I question if I truly need it. Will not be using it to shoot video at the dragstrip next year so I question the Canon not having IS being an issue.

The thing that does concern me a bit on the Sigma is the focus ring being ring being up against the zoom.

So how do you fine folks decide when you are stuck on the fence?

Saving the coin if I get the Sigma does come into mind. But I question if I really need a 24-70. I do have the 70-200 f/2.8. I am thinking about just getting a prime, perhaps a 50mm, instead.

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I was following you until you said, “... I question if I really need a 24-70.  I do have the 70-200 f/2.8.”

The two types of lenses are good wide angle to portrait zoom, and portrait zoom to medium telephoto.  They fill two different niches for a photographer.  I would not normally consider them interchangeable, under most circumstances.

One thing to consider, in which lens to choose, is what is your workflow.  Do you normally shoot RAW or JPEG?  If you shoot RAW, and use Canon’s DPP software, then you might want to stick with Canon lenses.  Canon’s DPP software only performs lens compensation of Canon cameras and lenses.

If your shutter speed is fast enough, then motion blur becomes less of an issue.  For handheld shots, it is recommended that you use a minimum shutter speed of 1/FL, where FL equals focal length.  I strive go two or three times the FL, in that formula, as much as I can.

As far as the focus ring goes, that is a matter of technique.  How do you hold the camera.  IMHO, most people who complain about things like this have poor technique.

Bottom line.  If you want a new lens, then splurge for it.  I would recommend the Canon over the Sigma.  And, I would recommend a fast prime over an f/2.8 standard zoom, if you do not already own one.  Check out the Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM.  Fantastic lens.  After lens correction, I would compare the images to the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

InkJunkie,

As you know, I own the Sigma.  Took it to Russia with me the week I got it.  It has amazed me.  I don't regret buying it.  Not one bit.

I think all of Wadizzle's points are excellent.  As I mentioned in another post, I'm going to stick primarily with Canon because 1. I use DPP and it only supports Canon lenses and 2. because you have to get the Sigma USB dock to update their lenses should they need it.  I'm going to standardize for the most part. 

I bought the Sigma because I wanted IS.  I don't care if the Sigma weighs .5 lbs more.  It was $500 less too.  Its built like a tank.  It operates smoothly and with precision.  It handeled rain like a champ.  I shot with a Canon eqivlent 2 weeks prior and didn't notice a difference, except that it was lighter  You mentioned being concerned about focus ring placement.  I've had zero fumbling with the focus ring.  I have medium size hands.  The body and lens together just floated natually in my hands.  I shot in Auto, in "P" and even used one of the programmable modes so I could go from inside to outside easily.  Power, click, click, ready.  Love my camera.

Questions to answer:

You're a Pro = Canon, You're a enthusiast = Sigma

Price consideration:

Shot in the arse with nickles = Canon, Putting kids through college = Sigma

What percentage of off tripod video do you see yourself shooting?  Less than 35% buy the Canon.  If more..  buy the Sigma.   You are shakey = Sigma, You know how to control breathing and can qualify for sniper training = Canon

Stamina:

Want lightest kit possible = Canon, Don't care = Sigma

Using DPP = Canon, Using LR = Sigma  

You need to rent or borrow the lenses if you are really this undecided.  Good luck!

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ScottyP
Authority

If you did go with a prime consider a 35mm instead of 50mm. It is more general purpose on a crop for sure, and it has been my walk around lens on my full frame for 4 years.  This year I went around and around deciding between a 24-70 and a 16-35 and I went with the wide angle. It really gives you a new look to your photos and I love it. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"....on which 24-70 f/2.8 lens to get."

There is no question here. The answer depends on whether you want the best or you don't.  Secondly if you have the coin there is only one answer the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens.  Many consider it the best lens made and I would have a hard time arguing that it isn't.  Since I got mine, I had the first version also, it goes every place I go.  Always, it never gets left behind.  It is absolutely a wonderful lens.  No peers!

I own the Sigma, Tamron and Tokina offerings.  Are they good, yeah they are, but they aren't the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens.  The single reason to buy one of them is money.  Money only!  IS isn't one of the considerations when choosing this type lens. 

As to whether to go with a prime, I.E. 50mil in favor of the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens (or one of the others) is not a good idea.  I wouldn't anyway.  But if you must, check out the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens for Canon EF.  There again it is the best.  Some claim it is the sharpest lens made period.  Again, I would have a hard time arguing that it isn't.  As to the suggestion of the 35mil over the 50mil, that depends on whether you are truly going FF in the near future.  Staying crop the 35 is the choice.  Going FF the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens is.

If someone told me tomorrow I could only have one lens, ever, it would be the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens.  No question!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Of course this is just me and my choice but, If I could only have one prime lens and no other, it would be the Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Lens.  Yes, I sold my Sigam 50mm Art in favor of the fast Canon.  I would do it again, too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements