cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice on protective filter and lens hood

shorty1
Contributor

I am looking into purchasing a UV filter to protect my 18-135mm IS USM lens. Is the B+W 67mm UV Haze MRC 010M Filter a good filter to use if I would like to keep the filter on all of the time? Would a standard lens cap fit on top of this?

Is the Canon EW-73D lens hood a good lens hood to use on top of the Canon 18-135mm lens?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@shorty1 wrote:

I am looking into purchasing a UV filter to protect my 18-135mm IS USM lens. Is the B+W 67mm UV Haze MRC 010M Filter a good filter to use if I would like to keep the filter on all of the time? Would a standard lens cap fit on top of this?

Is the Canon EW-73D lens hood a good lens hood to use on top of the Canon 18-135mm lens?

B+W filters are excellent but expensive.

Most in this forum would probably say that you don't need a protective filter, especially if you're using a lens hood. I think I fall into that category, though I did once try to nibble while covering an event that had a buffet table, and stuck the end of my lens into a dish of sour cream dip.

There's no such thing as a good or bad Canon hood for one of their lenses, just the right one or a wrong one. Always use the one they recommend, or it may interfere with the field of view. Lens hoods typically have very close tolerances in that respect. If you use a 3rd-party hood, make sure it's an exact replacement for the correct Canon hood.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

@TTMartin wrote:

@shorty1 wrote:

Which protective  filter are you using?

I just ordered a B+W 77mm XS-Pro Clear with Multi-Resistant Nano Coating (007M) for my new EF 100-400 L IS II. It is available in a variety of sizes.

I treat a protective filter as an extra lens cap. I remove it in environments where it is not need and leave it on at places where it is (i.e. the beach).

The B&W 77mm NANO filters are very competively priced.  They are right in the middle of the price range.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I looked at this Nano lens filter, but am not sure that the canon lens hood will fit on top of the filter.

@shorty1 wrote:

I looked at this Nano lens filter, but am not sure that the canon lens hood will fit on top of the filter.

Despite the 18-135mm IS USM being a fairly new lens, I would not expect any such issues with it fitting with the hood.  Most reputable online vendors allow you to return items.  I mostly use B&H Photo Video, which is renowned for their customer service AFTER the sale.

@shorty1 wrote:

The EW-73D lens hood does not screw into the filter, it attaches to the front lip of the lens. If the lens hood wont fit with the Nano filter, it wont fit with any filter.

edit: also Nano refers to the type coating on the filter

B+W Nano

I think the Nano coating is similar to Subwavelength Structure Coating (SWC)

Thanks for the diagram. I ended up getting a B&W 67mm Clear MRC 007M Filter since it is good enough for my purposes. 

"... it is good enough for my purposes."

Absolutely!  Good choice.  I was shooting at a rapidly flowing water fall today.  Folks that say a filter isn't needed, just don't get out enough.  Lots better than cleaning the mist off every couple minutes than scrub the front element.  IMHO, of course.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Absolutely!  Good choice.  I was shooting at a rapidly flowing water fall today.  Folks that say a filter isn't needed, just don't get out enough.  Lots better cleaning the mist off every couple minutes than scrub the front element.  IMHO, of course.

The risks to your gear are everywhere, folks, most especially if you like to shoot outdoors.  Pollen, and other airborned organic material like mold spores, is another outdoor lens hazard that you can encounter.  I encounter airborne organics all of the time. 

And, I wish how many times I could tell you that I have learned that sitting in my car with the air conditioning on, and changing a lens, is a very good way to get your camera sensor and lens dirty.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Absolutely!  Good choice.  I was shooting at a rapidly flowing water fall today.  Folks that say a filter isn't needed, just don't get out enough.  Lots better cleaning the mist off every couple minutes than scrub the front element.  IMHO, of course.

The risks to your gear are everywhere, folks, most especially if you like to shoot outdoors.  Pollen, and other airborned organic material like mold spores, is another outdoor lens hazard that you can encounter.  I encounter airborne organics all of the time. 

And, I wish how many times I could tell you that I have learned that sitting in my car with the air conditioning on, and changing a lens, is a very good way to get your camera sensor and lens dirty.

There are plenty of other ways, though, some of them even more effective (a day at the beach, for instance). My attempted defense is to be a CPS member and try to send each camera or lens in for cleaning every two years or so.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I decided to get a protective filter because on a windy day, there is a lot of dust flying around at the baseball fields.

Announcements