cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manually Focusing Lens While AF is On

ndunbar
Apprentice

Rebel t6i kit Lens on auto, camera on av or tv

I have a Rebel T6i.  Sometimes I would like to set camera on tv or av other than manual.  Quicker to use auto focus on the lens than to fiddle around manually focusing while my bear, dog, sheep-------- runs away.  Can I do this without damaging the lens.  Internet says you can but read somewhere this would damage my kit lens if they were not both on manual or both on auto.  Looked everywhere.  HELP     Thanks    Nancy

3 REPLIES 3

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

When you mention "manual" regarding the lens, I'm assuming you are referring to manual vs automatic focusing.   No, there's no issue at all in setting the lens to focus manually or automatic for use with any of the camera modes: Manual (M), Program (P), Aperture Priority (Av), etc.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I think what you are asking about is called “manual focus override”.  What this means is that you are able to manually focus the lens, even if the AF/MF lens switch is set to AF.

Not all lenses are capable of manual focus override.  All of the Canon lenses with “STM” or “USM” at the end of the model number should be capable of manual focus override.  

It is the older lens designs with mechanical focus rings that are not compatible with manual focus override.  Most of the lenses will change their length as you turn the focus ring.

Many of the Rebel camera kits included the older version of the EF-S 18-55mm lens that is NOT compatible with manual focus override.  These lenses have model numbers that do not end with either “STM” or “USM”.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If you have the older model just make sure you change the AF/MF switch before you manual focus.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements