cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macro vs Telephoto Lenses: Viewing Remote Objects

sheddy714
Apprentice

Hey hello! I'm new in this hobby, so I'm trying to learn new informations. So my question is: are there any differences between macro lenses and lenses for remote objects or it's the same thing? I have Canon EOS 200D and I would like to buy either macro lens or lens to photo remote objects. Thank you for your help!

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

So we can better understand your question, please define or clarify what a "lens for remote objects" and "lens to photo remote objects" is exactly?  😀

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

A macro lens is for focusing up close and magnifying small things typically they are 35 - 200mm of focal length with longer focal lengths letting you be far from the subject. This is from my EF-S 60mm Macro:

IMG_3411.jpg

A *telephoto* lens is for viewing "remote objects". They are typically 100+ in focal length. This is my 150 - 600 mm telephoto at 600 mm:

IMG_3177.jpg

Note that there is no reason a telephoto lens can't be a macro - it just requires the ability to have a short focus distance. It is just what the designers are purposing for the lens.

The specs for the lens will tell you the minimum focus distance and the magnification you can expect there.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements