cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MKII vs MKIII 1.4x teleconvertor

roderjay
Apprentice

I have the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III on a EOS R using the mount adaptor.  I'm looking to get a teleconvertor to get a little more reach for some high school sports photography.  I'm seeing some used MKII 1.4x teleconvertors on the market for less than half the price of used MKIIIs.  Any real big or noticeable benefit to going with the MKIII versus the MKII?

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum.

Here is a comprehensive discussion of the Version III and a comparison with the Version II.

Canon EF 1.4x III Extender Review (the-digital-picture.com)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks for the info.  I've read a lot of different comparisons and reviews, but most seemed to be focused comparing the two teleconvertors on an older MKI or MKII lenses.  I haven't seen anything specific to using on a MKIII lens.

The optical system of the two lenses are the same. Difference is a newer paint color and flourine coating on lens surfaces. 
Reviews of the TCs were published when the devices were released. At that time the V2 lens was current. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I wouldn't buy either until you try DPP4. You can d/l it free from the Canon web site. With DPP4 and shooting raw you can edit and crop your images perhaps as well as what a tel-con con offer. If you still want more buy the tele adapter afterwards. Did I mention DPP4 is free and you won't give up a stop on your lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks.  I've haven't heard of that before.  I'll check it out as well.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The other most important part is to always use raw. If you get DPP4 and use it to u/l to your computer the raw conversion is automatic so you will not see any difference in how you get images on the computer. In fact it is pretty easy and simple and automatic.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements