cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loose focus ring on EF-S 18-135 IS STM

ironhalo
Apprentice

Hi all.  I just received a used lens from MPB.com, an EF-S 18-135 IS STM, listed in excellent condition.  It's visibly and functionally in great shape except that the focus ring has significant play/wobble forward and backward (toward the front of the lens, and back toward the camera body).  To the extent that it makes a clicking sound as it bounces off each edge of the lens housing that surrounds it as I rotate it back and forth. My other aging/used lenses have some play in the ring, but nothing remotely this bad. 

Not only is it mildly annoying, but more importantly I plan on using this lens for video work and the wobble-click is 100% audible on an external microphone.  How typical is this with this particular lens, or similar lenses of this age?  In other words, should I expect most copies of this lens to exhibit the issue to this extent? Or should I exchange it with MPB in hopes that the next one will have a stiffer ring?  Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Loose probably a yes but clicking probably a no. Do you have someone that is familial with that lens to try it? Perhaps a local camera store or photography club, community college, etc.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

That lens uses an electronic focus ring. The focus ring will turn indefinitely. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Demetrius, thanks but I think you misunderstood what I was asking. The issue has nothing to do with how far the ring turns, the problem is how it shifts forward and backward significantly while turning, making a clicking sound in the process as it bounces back and forth within its groove in the housing.  I know a little forward/backward play is expected, but I've never had a lens with so much play in the ring that it clicked.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Loose probably a yes but clicking probably a no. Do you have someone that is familial with that lens to try it? Perhaps a local camera store or photography club, community college, etc.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks. I've also discovered the rubber coating on the focus ring is peeling off, so it's going back to MPB regardless. Hopefully the next one will be in better shape.

If their quality rating was "excellent" I would be cautious about anything from them. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Agreed.  This was my first purchase from MPB.com, and apparently they have a very different definition of "excellent" than I do.  I'm reserving judgment until I see how their customer service handles the issue.

Announcements